Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Burning pain in Intestines

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Burning pain in Intestines

Hi ! I am 52 years old and have been suffering with stomach problems for the past 10 years. Everything from an ulcer to gastritius along with GERDS, Barrett's Esophagus, and IBS.  Now I have a new problem ! If I drink only one beer the next day my intestines feel like they are on fire. I've had CT scans,upper and lower GIs. I have also had a endoscopy(TWICE) and two colonoscopies and my GI doctor still dosen't know what is causing this burning pain. I'm not a big drinker, I might have 3 or 4 beers a month if that,and the next morning the burning pain in my intestines and sometimes around my sides to my back. I also noticed I run a low grade fever 99.6 that last for a day then it returns to 98.6 .  I also noticed that my stomach makes a URRP kind of sound. I go to the bathroom like clockwork and everything seems normal. I have seen my family doctor and two GI doctors and they don't know why I have this burning pain,the slight fever or the URRP sounds.  I also suffer from Anxiety Disorder, Agoraphobia, and panic attacks. I take Nexium,and Xanax(not if I know I will drink beer) . I have tryed therapy,biofeedback and nothing helps. I can't take anti-depressants because I have a bad allergic reaction to everyone I have tryed(about 30). Paxil almost killed me ! I have most of the anxiety under comtrol,it just this stomach problem. Any HELP you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm tired of the pain and seeing doctors.  
from an ibs point of view beer and ibs do not work well together,i know if i go out and have a couple of beers i will be in pain the next day also with diarreha.
does this only happen with beer.maybe u could change your type of drink.
beer also can cause more acid in the stomach area thus causing pain and so forth.
i persume it is not liver related ,or maybe you could have a simple celiac blood panel to see if u have a gluten allergy  this is very common in ibs a lot of docs dont check for.

if it is only the beer ,maybe try a glass of wine ,or something else if wish to have a drink

hope this helps a little
keep posted
I have my blood work done for the past twenty years and everything comes back normal. I don't think that I ever had a celiac blood panel. I have to have my bloodwork done again in August, I'll have to bring up the celiac blood test when I see my doctor. As far as drinking something other then beer, I can't stand the taste of wine and mixed drinks give me a headache. I have had my liver checked,along with my gallbladder, and kidneys and all the test came back normal. I even had a stress test last month and everything was normal. Blood pressure was 128/86 and went up to 160/ 95 during the test. I was told that was fine. Lately after I eat my stomach blows up and I look like I am pregnant,then little by little my stomach returns to normal. If I eat potato chips, the next day my intestines burn like I was drinking beer. I never had ANY problems with my stomach up until ten years ago. My whole family except for me have CAST IRON stomachs. I had two beers with dinner at my niece's birthday party and the next day I felt like I was dieing. Pain in my lower intestines, and a burning pain in my back,and a 99.3 fever. I better just give up socializing. Thank you for the information, I'll talk to my doctor about the celiac blood test.    Take Care.
ok how it going
hey first of all dont give up the socializing its good to get out and about etc you know that to be true.i too have had loads of tests all neg yet i cant eat potato chips either dont figure ha.potato chips ,beer,i would persume you have a few more if you think about it are easily avoided if u want.when eating take your time do not eat under STRESS rather de-stress and then enjoy your food plus and this is for everybody inc me when we eat in a hurry there are vasts amount of air going into the digestive tract hence the bloating.
chew your  food right through,eat smaller portions.everybody has certain foods that dont agree with them is does not make them indifferent to everyone else they are small intoralonces thats all.its good to see all your tests are fine and that is calming.
best of luck
Did you ever get to the bottom of this. I have the same problem. Cheers