Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Can IBS cause severe back pain on both flanks?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

I wasn't really diagnosed correctly I guess, been suffering with IBS like symptoms for 3 years now, because i yet didn't go for a CT scan with dye, my symptoms are severe and I mean severe back pain and left lower abdominal pain, but I have no fever and no blood in stools, at first my stool was black, and they said it had blood cells 4-6 and it had mucus so much in it, there is something also really weird here, its affecting my urination, it applies lots of pressure in my abdomen are over my pubic bone and both flank sides and makes peeing very difficult, is this related to any bowel disease? I'm not constipated in stools, meaning that I have a hard time pooping, but when my stools are out they are not hard, just severe indigestion that showed up in the lab work, something else, I'm 31 years old and very healthy, but I was a masturbation addict and a porn movie addict( sorry for this really) I quit doing those two for more than 2 month now, but the doctors are saying the problem with my urination is my prostate its irritated or inflamed or something, and that I also could have UTI, but my urine culture showed nothing, and my urine analysis showed pus cells 4-6 as well, are those two things linked together? when ever I feel i want to poop i feel it affecting my urination and my urine stream is going weaker, and its hard to pass, what sort of bowel disease can do this? or is it my prostate? on transrectal test it shows normal size but with transitional zone concretions, and on CT without dye the doc said my seminal vesicles are inflamed, on ultrasound showed mild dilation in left ureter although there are no stones along course of ureters or bladder just one small one in my left kidney 2mm opaque stone in middle calyx, I'm going for the dye CT on Saturday to see whats going on, please any ideas about this would really ease things up for me, since I'm completely lost...
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your problems with urination may not be related to the bowel. Your symptoms of flank pain, problems with urination, the small stone in the kidney are all related to the genitourinary system. Since the urine culture and sensitivity were negative, its more likely that prostatitis and inflammation of the seminal vesicles are causing your problems. The imaging studies should help to delineate your problem more clearly. You may need therapy with antibiotics and anti inflammatories for the prostatitis and seminal vesicle inflammation. You may further need therapy for the stone. This will depend on the size of the stone and location. Please discuss the options with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.