Can a liquid diet cause excess liquid build up in the intestines?
On June 30 last year I had a jaw surgery and had to be on a liquid diet for a month. I had fruit smoothies and blended food. As I was transitioning from liquid to soft food I started getting constipation and all the u pleasant symptoms that occur along with it. As time went on my body cannot produce a bowel movement. The only way I had one is by taking a laxative and its still persistent. Before the surgery I had a BM daily never experiencing any elimination or digestion issues. At the end of Oct. I started getting liquid in my abdomen on the left side. My doctor and GI specialist told me I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome with constipation. I can hardly eat or drink now. The more liquid I drink the more fluid that builds up. It like a wave of fluid. When I take a laxative and have a BM the liquid decreases. Of course its diarrhea I get all the time from the laxative. The symptoms are plenty of discomfort all the time. I have had a colonoscopy done. A CT of the abdomen showed some liquid in the intestines but nothing abnormal. I don't know why I am having the liquid back up. I have no blockages or anything of the sort. My rectum is prolapsed a little from straining overtime. The body not be able to make a bowel movement on its own isn't good. I have a good diet since Aug the diet is a normal one. I do have scoliosis. My chiropractor told me it could be causing some of the problems and the pressure I feel on the left side. He also told me he thinks my intestines lack friendly bacteria and to take intestinal flora and digestive enzymes. It will take a few weeks to notice a difference. I have been doing that for the past week and the symptoms have been somewhat more tolerable but my body still cannot produce a BM on its on. Anybody have any suggestions.