Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Chinese Herbs

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Chinese Herbs

I noticed this area appeared recently and wanted to tell everyone my story.

About 2 yrs ago I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. I had to take Canasa for about 8 months or so. Afterwards I had no problems until I had started taking antibiotics some 9 months later.
It caused me to have bad diarrhea & I had to go to the restroom up to 20 times a day for two weeks. I also had blood & mucus in my stool and my stomach was bloated.

After a week I went to the doc & he gave me more medicine to take, but I didn't want to take it so I went to a Chinese herbalist I visited once before. I told her my problems and she gave me herbs to make tea & pills, enough to last me four days. The first day or two I took the tea, I thought it was making my symptoms worse (my sysmptoms had started to get a little better by this point), but by the time I finished I was going to the restroom about the same as I had been before and my diarrhea was completely gone along with the blood & bad bloating I had in my stomach.

The only thing I've noticed is that my stool is now a little wetter than it used to be (it was always sorta dryish before). I also had some slight mucus (i think from antibiotics) but I started drinking 2 tea spoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with a glass of water that I drank a few times a week that cleated most cleared it up.

So if you're having problems, I say just try an herbalist. It can't hurt & it might help you as it did me.