Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Chronic Constipation and IBS

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Chronic Constipation and IBS

How often can I take Glycerin Suppositories? I know its not safe to take regularly. and i need to find something to help me daily. But at the moment i really need some relief. Its been over a week since I have had a large BM. Please help. Thanks in advance.
I learned about something that helps a little with the BM with constipation on the Fibromyalgia forum.  One post said that women have the advantage over men in this regard, because we can reach our thumb into our vagina to help push the stool out from the inside.  I thought it sounded bizarre, but when you're constipated bad enough, you'll do anything to get the stool to move out.

I don't know how often is safe for the glycerin suppositories.  I don't use them.  Like with the saline enemas, they should only be used in an emergency.

My naturopath had me start using Oregon Grape (according to label) with each meal, which works like a stool softener, and Cascara Sagrada as needed.  When the constipation is really bad, you can take 900 mg (two capsules) of Cascara Sagrada at night with a large glass of water.  If it's only a little bit bad, just use the 450 mg (one capsule).  One brand I had used in the past only mentioned 900 mg, but using 900 mg proved to be too much at times, so I would have the opposite problem.  It's a balancing act, but between these two herbs, I have a lot less severe constipation from the IBS.

Are you using a fiber supplement?  The main thing is to use a fiber supplement, not what kind it is.  I'm not able to use psyllium, so I don't use Metamucil.  There are fiber supplements now that are based on inulin, which may be fine if it doesn't aggravate GERD, as a lot of us have both problems.  Flaxseed meal is another fine choice for a fiber supplement.  It can be mixed with water or juice as one would use Metamucil, or it can be sprinkled over food.  It does have a pleasant nutty flavor.

My GI suggested MiraLax.  While I tend to shy away from too many laxatives, especially manmade ones, because over use of laxatives leads to dependence on them, I do use MiraLax myself from time to time.

Because most GI doctors are also conventional doctors, they usually suggest the stool softeners that one can find OTC, such as Colace or Dulcolax.  I had to stop using them myself, since I developed an intolerance to them after having used them for many years.  But, these are not laxatives.  These are stool softeners and are meant for people like us with chronic constipation from IBS-C

Traditional Medicinals puts out a tea called Smooth Move that uses senna leaf and some other herbs that is actually very gentle.  You could try this for when you just want a little bit of relief, like stool softening.  My problem with the tea is that I get nauseated from this one, so I don't use it myself.  But, I used to, so I know it doesn't taste too unpleasant to be able to tolerate.  I wouldn't say it tastes wonderful, but it isn't intolerable.  If I remember right, there is an ingredient in it that I found out I was allergic to, so I ended up giving the remainder of the box I had to some friends of mine.

Food sensitivities are a problem for many of us.  Many of us are gluten and dairy intolerant, whether it's Celiac or not.  Gluten and dairy bind me up really bad and cause problems for a lot of people with IBS, regardless of which way their IBS swings.
If you really need to take something daily to keep your bowels working, they're safer than anything else, less addictive than any stimulant-irritant.
But they won't actually solve your problem!  Are you sure there's nothing else that a gastroenterologist could recommend?