Chronic Constipation for 2 Years!
I have had Chronic Constipation for just about 2 years. My doctor had thought that I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but none of the medicines that she has put me on for it have done anything. I have to take at least twice the dose of laxatives for them to work, and still many don't work no matter how much I take. I am not sure if this sounds like IBS, or if anybody knows of any other reason I could be having chronic constipation for 2 year? I am also worried that my body will no longer be able to do a bowel movement since I have been taking them for so long. Help!
Hello and sorry for the late reply.

Chronic use of laxatives can cause dependency and decreased bowel function. I would advise you to develop a lifestyle to fight constipation and then you can simultaneously cut down on your laxative use gradually. Drink plenty of water. Regular meals with high fiber content like green leafy vegetables, plenty of fruits, lots of oral fluids and exercise will help relieve constipation. Further eating plenty of fibrous vegetables will supplement the much needed vitamins and minerals. Do not consume caffeinated beverages. Practice good relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation. Exercise regularly. Go for long relaxed walks. Maintain a food diary and try to identify those foods which are likely to produce constipation and avoid them.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.