Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Coffee & Bowels

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Coffee & Bowels

I have been having trouble with my bowels for a while now and I may have irritable bowel. Coffee can make me open my bowels 3 times within a couple of hours, sometimes just the smell of it can make me have to run. I look forward to my morning coffee. Do you think it is the coffee causing this? is going this often dangerous?
Kathie
I can relate.  Coffee used to work for me for constipation on occasion, so I know that coffee can do this.  I have since developed a true allergy to coffee, which will cause me to have breathing problems if I drink it.  Going down the coffee aisle in a supermarket will make me sneeze.

If your bowels are opening up, as in diarhea (diarrhea), this much then you run the risk of dehydration.  And, don't forget that coffee is also a diaretic, which means that it will take water away from your body.  Sort of like a double whammy if it gives you this much diarhea (diarrhea).
When i was told that I have IBS i was told by the dictor to not drink any caffine at all, as it can cause episodes of Diarhea (diarrhea), I drink pepsi once in a while (maybe 4 times a month), but besides that I am caffine free, you may have to stop drinking coffee you may feel better. Hope this helps.
I wouldn't recommmend to drink coffee. It will make you go more to the bathroom. I personally don't even want to drink coffee because I know that it will activate more BMs.

Good Luck.
I have more of a problem with constipation with my ibs, and I sometimes drink coffee to relieve it. It probably is causing your problems. I usually try not to drink coffee though because it sometimes gives me stomach cramps that aren't even in the bowel region.

You'd probably feel better if you cut down.
Hi Mate,
I have had the same problem for over 12 months. Had all the tests but nothing showed up. I went to a company on the web called LAB 21. They sent me a Food Intolorance test kit and it came back that I very high intolorance on 5 things. Cows milk, eggs, yeast cloa bean ( caffine and coka cola ) and pineapples. Within 3 days off cutting them out I'am almost back to normal.
Please Please do try this as you will be amased how your intolarances can affect your body.

Regards,

Roy Evans