Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Coffee and IBS

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Coffee and IBS

Can you still drink coffee with IBS? I love Starbucks I've been drinking it since it was 6!!!! And now I'm 16 and after having a horrible stomach virus for a long time and huge amounts of stress I developed IBS.. It's supposed to MAYBE go away after a year. But I need coffee :(
My boyfriend had to give up coffee because it was the main cause of all his stomach issues.  He drinks tea now.  There are coffee-like drinks you can try.  Look in the coffee aisle.  Also folgers has a low-acid coffee, Smooth something.  
Yes you can... It could cause some discomfort but otherwise shouldn't hurt you. I have chrons and can still drink coffee.
Coffee is one among the drinks professionals usually advocate to avoid, primarily thanks to its alkaloid content. Drinking decaffeinated  coffee could appear sort of a logical resolution, but it, too, will cause a occurrence of IBS symptoms. shift to a coffee-like different, like a soy-based or herbal-based drink, may provide relief, and avoiding farm or sugar merchandise more to your occasional could, as well. Speak to your gastroenterologist before you add something unaccustomed your diet, notably if you've got severe IBS symptoms.
thanks guys :) ill try these and guess ill cut back on the espresso and see what happens.
I have been experiencing stomach pain. I get a burning, knawing pain in the upper part of my stomach and it sometimes radiates into my chest. It is especially bad every night - wakes me up and does not go away.  I struggle with it until I eventually get up and get on with my day. I am waiting to get in for an endoscopy.
The odd thing is that it almost always goes away after my morning coffee. Coffee does relieve the pain. Is there some benefit to coffee or what... ? This does not add up... Any explanations...
I realize that moderation is the key.
I wouldn't drink coffee if I was you. Specially if you think it can go away in a year. Just stay away from it for a year. If not, the IBS condition could become permanent and you don't want that :)