Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Colonoscopy Prep While experiencing IBS Flare Plus Hyperactive Bowel So...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Colonoscopy Prep While experiencing IBS Flare Plus Hyperactive Bowel Sounds

I'm a 23 year old female who has been struggling on and off with IBS-like symptoms since I was a teen. Recently I've been experiencing extreme amounts of trapped gas in my system, causing pain throughout my body as far as my neck and shoulders and even brain fog. Over the past week leading to up to tomorrow, my colonoscopy prep day, I've been experiencing rounds of severe constipation followed by rounds of loose stools and diahhrea with bad cramping. I am also nervous because as of 2 weeks ago, when my stomach becomes very empty I have hyperactive bowel sounds. They are controlled by breathing in and out and it sounds like water passing through a tube (very loud). I am currently on 40mg of omneprazole which was originally helping but no longer is. I also take a probiotic and stool softner daily. The prep I was assigned was MoviPrep, that I am scheduled to start at 5PM tomorrow. The built gas has been so bad the past few days it's limited my functioning, and the bowel sounds are really making me nervous. I know getting a colonscopy is a way to find answers but I don't want to hurt myself even further if something serious is occuring. It's also important to note that I had an investigative laproscopy surgery in March of 2012 for suspected endometriosis (still not definitive answers), and that I am currently on my menstural cycle.

The omneprazole stopped working at about the month mark, but I was under an intense amount of stress seeing as our family dealt with a lot of damage during Hurricane Sandy - the symptoms worsened/escalated after that and have not subsided this week at all. I am overall a very anxious person. Could this have caused a flare this bad?

Eating is the only thing that helps the gas pain and pressure stay at bay and I cannot eat all of tomorrow. I'm looking for any tips or advice if this is safe to go through with or if I should seek any immediate medical attention due to the very loud bowel sounds before eating.
I have been recently diagnosed with suspected IBS so understand your pain and concerns.  Surprised the doctor didn't suggest anything for the gas, at least GasX or Mylanta or something.  If you have to start the prep tomorrow for the test, you probably can't take anything but you can always call and ask.I am an anxious person, have had a few abdominal surgeries and no problems from the tests.
Well, just noticed the date so your procedure is probably done by now.
How did it go?