Constant rectal discomfort

I developed irritable bowel symptoms in a time of stress about 2 years ago.  This included gut pain, and constipation alertnating with diarrhea.  I've managed to calm it by cutting out bread products (although I can cope with breads made from sprouted grains), not eating too much of any one food, and taking psyllium husk in water every morning.  My stools are now regular (1-2 x per day) and of a normal consistancy, BUT I have not been able to get rid of this constant soreness in my rectum and anus (and before anyone asks, I don't put anything up there).  My doc says that it's not hemorrhoids, and I have had no bleeding since I have got rid of the constipation (since taking psyllium daily).    

Does anybody have any idea of what I can do to make myself well again???  I just don't know.  It constantly hurts and I'm worried that it could increase my risk of developing more serious conditions.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated.