Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Constipation one day - diarrhea clay colored abdomen and chest pain

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

I have had stomach issues for 8 months. It started after a bad bout of watery diarrhea last fall. I started having ulcer symptoms, heartburn, reflux. Then it turned into nausea, constipation, bloating, dizziness, loss of balance and a bubbling feeling in my intestine. I have been to the doctor 10 times and had multiple tests including  numerous blood tests, an upper GI, small bowel, and CT.First they said I had gastritis, then they thought it was H Pylori. I have tried antibiotics, bentyl, probiotics, magnesium. During this time I lost 16 pounds, I am already small so it is NOT good for me to lose weight. I need to gain weight as I am getting married soon and need want desperately to be back to normal! I went to a naturalist and started taking 5HTP for anxiety and a natural laxitive for the constipation.
Recently I told the dr about my stress and he said it must be IBS. The last three days have been bad, back pain, chest pain, abdominal pain, and severe diarrhea. I had it for 2 hours straight monday and freaked out because it was clay colored, with mucous, pieces of food, and what looked like fat. I went to the ER thinking it was a liver issue, they did xrays and blood work and told me that i was fine. Tuesday I did not have any BM just pain throughout abdomen chest and back. I don't want to feel this way anymore. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Is there blood in the stool? IS it just one side of the abdomen that hurts? When your chest hurts does it feel like there is gas stuck? If this has lasted for a long period of time I would suggest you go to a gastroenterologist and get a colonoscopy. From what info you have gave it sounds like IBD. But only a doctor can tell you for sure.
Here is the recent scoop - after my visit to the ER last week (Tues) I felt awful for two days after - more clay colored diarrhea (Wednesday). Thursday night I was up all night with diarrhea, severe abdomen and chest pain - the pain was all over my abdomen, not in just one spot - it did not feel like gas pains to me but I could be wrong. I read all about IBS and ended up getting some Benefiber (soluable fiber) supposed to bulk loose stool and keep it soft so not to have constipation. Started taking that Friday night and I felt much better Saturday and Sunday (had a small BM semi formed but still clay colored). Today I felt fine until 12 and then started feeling gas and pain, I thought I was going to have diarrhea but it ended up being somewhat normal in color and form. I thought this is it! I am back to normal !!!- then about 1 hour later I had loose stool and then watery diarrhea twice. No blood that I have ever seen in my stool.

Doctors looked for IBD/Chrons/Colitis and said there was no inflammation or anything. The GI told me the last test to do is a colonoscopy but he does not think it will show anything as there was nothing indicated that was the issue. He is the one who said it is IBS. I have drastically reduced the stress in my life (took a big stressor out - grad school) and things are going well other than my health but I cannot erase the stress related to my health because every day I worry about what my body will do! Any other suggestions?? Please help. I cannot take this anymore.