Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Could it possibly be pelvic organ prolapse?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Hi members of the IBS Community!

I'm connecting to you from the Urogynecology Community, this is one of the new communities on Medhelp. Pelvic organ prolapse is an extremely common female health issue that most women aren't aware of until after they are diagnosed with it. Many symptoms within the pelvic cavity overlap between different conditions, IBS is one of those conditions. Often women are diagnosed with IBS as a catch all diagnosis when upper and lower GI testing is done and is inconclusive.  Of course this does not mean that all women having problems in their pelvic cavities have POP, but since our areas overlap I think our communities will complement each other well. If women come into the Urogynecology Community displaying multiple symptoms of IBS, I'll send them here to find support and information. I am hopeful that if you have several of the symtoms (symptoms) of POP listed below, that you will dig into pelvic organ prolapse a bit to see if the shoe fits. The most common symptoms of POP are:

Pressure in the vagina or rectum or both
Rectal pain
Urinary incontinence
Urine retention (you have to pee, it just won't come out)
Feels like your insides are falling out (you can see a bulge of tissue at end of vagina if you look with mirror)
Pelvic or abdominal pain or discomfort
Back pain
Heaviness in pelvic region
Constipation
Fecal incontinence
Tampons "push out"
Painful intercourse
Lack of sensation during sex.

Every forum within Medhelp is dedicated to helping you find the information and support you need!

Sher