Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Diagnosis

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Diagnosis

I think I have IBS and when I've looked at the symptoms they match perfectly with Ibs I'm going to the doctors about it soon how can they diagnose me and if I do have it what can they do about it
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

With regard to your queries I’ll mention a few facts about IBS.Your bowel is a muscular tube, which stores and digests food. Irritable bowel is a disorder that affects the nerves and muscles of the bowel. This causes abdominal pain and irregular bowel movements.IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, i.e. once all other diseases of the colon like colitis, infections, tumors etc. have been ruled out, then the diagnosis of IBS is made.

For IBS there is no cure. Depending on your symptoms, whether you have constipation or diarrhea or abdominal pain, your doctor will prescribe appropriate medicines to counter the same.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I have IBS with constipation (you may have diarrhea) but I know with mine just day to day I have alot of gas & bloating & just an uncomfortable feeling in my lower abdominal. But when I have major flare ups mine are severe. Really bad cramps, sometimes the cramps feel like I need to use the bathroom but cant (which makes it worse) But when I was 1st diagnosed it was really bad, & I noticed that when I did use the bathroom some of the pain went away. So that being said I went through every test possible to rule out acid reflux to cancer & even ulcers etc. Took about a year (severe case & 11 yrs ago when IBS was new to docs) But now they can give you anti-spasmatic meds to help with spasms in your colon, and what really helped me was getting on some low doses of psychiatric meds (it all stops then) bc many times stress causes or brings this on. You may have to go through some uncomfortable test (for me I thought ok you did one test to see the whole area thats hurting why keep going?) and it got annoying fast. But they have to rule it all out, bc with IBS there is no test..they have to go by your symptoms and rule out everyyyything else. Hope this helped! Let us know