Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Do I have IBS or just stomach acid?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Do I have IBS or just stomach acid?

I'm a 19 year female and basically for a really long time I've been experiencing nausea really bad I haven't been vomiting but at night when I lay down it's like I'm about too. I'm constantly burping and my stomach feels full of gas all the time and I suffer from heartburn I always have had these problems. I ended up feeling so sick one night that i couldn't sleep and it lasted for about 3 days just constant nausea and mucus type stuff was coming up my throat sometimes (not vomit) i had a burning in my throat also. I went to hospital and they said it could be IBS with the stomach pains. (that are completely barable compared to the nausea. I was given some anti sickness tablets and IBS medication that helped. that was about 2 months ago and for about 2 weeks I've been experiencing it all again not as bad but a lot more heartburn. Antacids don't help and i've heard they make it worse. I don't know what to do to get rid of this nausea and heartburn and gas in my stomach! I don't know if it's IBS or excess acid or both. could someone please help me or tell me something i can do that will help me sleep? I'm starving but i know that eating late at night makes it worse but could i even have some toast to soak up the acid to get rid of this burning feeling? anything is appreciated thankyou
I have a similar problem and the doctor still don't know exactly what's causing it. She put me on Omeprazole and I felt like it made it worser..I quit taking it after 3 weeks cause they worsened, plus it gave me watery diarrhea. I've gone 2 days without eating cause it hurted so bad. I was afraid to try to eat anything. But I found out yogurt helps a lot, having soups, and only meat would be chicken that actually felt good in my tummy with no issues.Grains actually worsened it and I though it would help :/ I haven't gone back to the doctor since the last prescription..kinda gave up on it due to I am uninsured and keep on throwing money out there on doctor visits and prescriptions.
It sound like IBS because I have the same problems and have had many test ran and all they could come up with was IBS.. I have episodes like that all the time but they are random and can last anywhere from two days until two weeks which is so uncomfortable.. When you are in pain like that, try not to eat anything solid and don't eat too much at one time.. With IBS certain foods can trigger it as well as stress or your nerves.. I was told to eat like one thing at a time when i'm having flare ups to try to figure out what foods make it worse so you can know not to eat that particular thing.. I hope this helps but even with me doing that I still have them sometimes and now that I am pregnant, it seem like its worse..