Gall bladder removed = IBS?
Hey, does anyone here know if getting your gall bladder out causes IBS? I know about 10 people who have had the surgery and about 8 of them have developed some kind of IBSd type symptoms. Has anyone here ever heard of that happening?
You know, I had my gallbladder removed almost 9 years ago and since then, I have loose stool (mostly in the morning).  I used to think it was due to my thyroid issues but those have been under control now.  Yet nearly every morning, I have loose stool.  Apparently the gallbladder is used as a holding place for the bile that is released for digestion.  When your gallbladder is gone, there is no holding place for this bile so it gets dumped directly into the intestines, rather than being squeezed out at intervals according to what you ate.  Then this extra bile has some sort of laxative effect and draws more water into the colon.  At least that's what I read.  It seems very common after gallbladder removal.
Thanks for your comment. If the bile has a laxative effect then it makes sense that loose stools would be more common. I wasn't sure if that was an IBS type thing or just an after surgery effect that was similar but not quite the same thing.