HELP
I was diagnosed with Zollinger ellison syndrome. I had one small ulcer and I continued to loose weight and vomit a lot.  I got scoped again and in uder a year I had 6 larger ulcers.  I had a gastrin level done and it came back a little higher then 1000 so thats what diagnosed me.  My question is since I was taking nexium for about 4 days prior to the blood draw could that have made my gastrin levels that high and not Zollinger ellison
Always get a second opinion. You owe it to yourself to get the right diagnosis and right treatment. I also have Zollinger's and it took firing first doctor while hospitalized, being discharged and went to my GP. He experimented with different proton pump inhibitors and finally we hit on Protonix at bedtime, Zantac 150 AM and PM. Good luck and God bless. Keep me posted. Also, my Zollingers is well controlled now, The only time it gets bad is when I don't take my meds....bad!
well they are taking me off all acid blockers to see if the nexium is what gave me a high gastrin level...but can taking nexium for only 4-5 days raise your gastrin levels up to over 1000?  Now I am of course throwing up a lot more.  If it's still high after im off nexium they will do an ultrasound endoscopy to look for a gastrinoma.  Any help on this would be appeciated!!!
They have to have you off the Nexium to get a proper gastrin level, it is a necessary evil. If your level is still high, they may try other meds or a mix of meds that work (like I  have). I know that being scoped isn't pleasant (I've had three) but it also helps in obtaining a correct diagnosis. Did u think about a second opinion? Let me know. Good luck and God bless.
I am getting a second opinion...that's why I'm doing the test again. I have been scoped three times already but the ultrasound endoscopy is more invasive then a regular scope...it's used to more accurately find gastrinomas because CT's only find about 25% of them becaus of their size.  Did you have your gastrinoma removed? Half of all gastrinomas are malignant and it's important to treat the tumor as well as the ulcer. I just wonder if it sounds like I fit the profile of a ZES patient. id you have ulcers in your duodenum as well as stomach?  How were you diagnosed?