Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Has anyone tried going dairy free?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Has anyone tried going dairy free?

I have suffered with IBS/D for 20+ years off and on not knowing thats what its called. Last year it got lots worse and I had all kinds of tests from my Gastro doctor to both ends, lol. All was ruled out as not having Chrons,or Celiacs. Gluten issues did not seem to fit my symptoms. I would get sick with horrible lower bowel pain in the middle of the night. I knew i was lactose intolerent but did try to stay away from milk products. I would occasionaly eat cheese or chocolate before bed and wake up badly sick. I just did not connect this until I was sick 3 nights in a row and last time only had clear veg soup and crackers. Decided to read on lactose intolerance and foods that milk was in.

The can of vegetable soup had milk in it and so did the crackers. My pantry was full of boxes and cans with MILK or its derivitave in it. Some chicken is injected with it to preserve it so It is in EVERYTHING. Look for these words: Lactate, Milk fat, cheese culture, Casein, Caseinate, chocolate, Butter, Lactose, Curd, Whey, Potassium Lactate is a food perservative in almost all processed meats (hotdogs, lunchmeat). Read all bread, muffins, rolls, cereal, fiber bars  and crackers. Obviously stay away from any creams, chocolate, gravies. I am so much better since November and almost symptom free. Eat fresh meats, fruit and vegs for 2 weeks and stay away from all processed foods and let me know. Check lactose intolerance websites for more key words. I am a new person.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Thanks for the information. In addition to avoiding products which have lactose, there are special products made for people with lactose intolerance. Sometimes probiotics are used for gastrointestinal conditions, such as diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome. They may also help the body digest lactose. Probiotics are generally considered safe and may be worth a try if other methods don't help.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.