Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Hunger pains + bloating after eating + regular bowel movements (that&#x...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Hunger pains + bloating after eating + regular bowel movements (that's right, REGULAR) = WHAT THE HELL?

Two months ago I came down with a sore throat, which turned into the worst cough I'd ever had, which progressed to a cold, which resulted in swollen neck glands, which was diagnosed on the nurse hot line as H1N1 (even though I had no fever), and several days later was diagnosed as a bad upper respiratory infection that "just needed to run it's course". During these two weeks I began noticing irrtation in my right side. I thought nothing of it since the weekend I had come down with the sore throat I had also taken a pilates class which caused some sore ab muscles. By the second week though I noticed that my left side was over all doing okay, but my right side was still sore, and suddenly (in the course of 2 days) eating the smallest thing caused me to feel painfully bloated, and my right side was still constantly irratated (and often after eating both sides would flare up). I saw one doctor who sent me to have an ultra-sound done and get blood samples, everything came back normal. I saw a second doctor who thought it was IBS and made me take laxatives for a weekend (which didn't result in much poop since at that point I was hardly eating a thing). The first doctor called me the week after I took the laxatives and perscribed me omeprazole (which I thought was NOT cool since acid reflux is not the first thing that is coming to mind here). So I took it for 11 days, and while it calmed a lot of the irratation the pain in my right side has never fully gone away and has slightly acted up a few times during the course of taking it.

I've also been keeping a food journal which shows little pattern in terms of what is causing it to act up (i.e. wheat products, sugar, fat, etc.) Please note, also that I'm a vegetarian so fatty meat in take is not a part of my daily diet. The only food that seemed to help is yogurt, BUT

today was my third day of not taking omeprazole and I had some for breakfast because I woke up feeling incredibly hungery. However, yesterday I woke up feeling quite crappy and my thoughts could hardly stomach the idea of eating breakfast so I had some soymilk chai instead in order to hopefully make myself feel full. That didn't really work, I continued to feel as if I was hungry even after snacking on a banana and having some bean stew for lunch, and it progressed more and more throughout the day as did the discomfort in my side. By dinner time (which consisted of veggie soup with rice) I was feeling bloated again. So this morning I thought I would head it off and take some aloe vera juice and yogurt, nope, still felt hungery. Then I had a tortilla shell (whole wheat) with pb and j, this helped for about 30 mins (however, I was also pacing around and busying myself which seems to sometimes help too), but then again, BAM, still feeling hungry. At 11:30 I caved and took an omeprazole (I have three left) because I cannot stand feeling this way, it hurts to eat and hurts NOT to eat.

So, please, if anyone can offer advice or suggestions I would very much appreciate it. I hate taking medicine of any kind (holistic girl here), and a lot of people think it's my gallbladder but, as mentioned above, my results keep coming back normal. I'm extremely frustrated with the medical community because I feel like it's impossible to find a doctor who gives a **** any more, all they want to do is give you some pills and send you on your way.
Again, I'm having regular bowel movements ( and normal gas, etc, so IBS doesn't seem to make sense either), and have not established any pattern that is explaining why this is happening but I REALLY do not want to be on antacids and pills for the rest of my life! I'm only 24!! Thank you!
Have you had a test for Helycobacter pylori infection of your stomach?