Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Hydrogen Breath Test
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hydrogen Breath Test

I'm looking for answers regarding interpretation of Hydrogen Breath Test (HBT).  Answers are greatly appreciated.

Background:  Two years ago, I was diagnosed with Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) via a Hydrogen Breath Test (HBT) with Lactulose.  The test was described by my GI as "faintly positive".  The HBT came out positive despite having been on antibiotics prior to the HBT.  Regardless, my symptoms improved with the antibiotics.

Current:  I developed identical symptoms to the one's I experienced 2 years ago when I was diagnosed with SIBO.  However, the antibiotic did not work this time.  The only thing that seems to subside my symptoms enough for me function are peppermint capsules prescribed by my GI.  I've tried all the IBS meds out there and none work for me.  

GI ordered a Lactulose based HBT in early July 2012.   I finished antibiotics 3 weeks prior to the HBT.  I was only taking peppermint capsules.  Despite some elevated numbers in the HBT, my GI called the HBT "NEGATIVE".  It is very similiar results to the HBT I took 2 years ago.   These are the results.  Is this a negative HBT?  I know these tests are open to interpretation and vary from dr to dr.  I experienced abdominal pain/discomfort shortly after taking the lactulose, became bloated, "gassy" and urgency to go restroom.

Time                      Sample                              H2                                       ppm
                                Zero Baseline 1                15                                          001
                                Zero Baseline  2               13                                         001
8:50                       15 Min                                13                                         001
9:05                        30 min                               13                                         001
9:20                        45 min                               22                                         001
9:35                        60 min                               22                                          001
10:05                      90 min                               22                                          001
10:35                     120 min                              27                                           001
11:05                      150 min                              54                                          001
11:35                      180 min                              42                                            001
HBT can also be used to diagnose dietary fructose intolerance.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...