Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
I started eating healthy and have been having less bowel movements and ...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

I started eating healthy and have been having less bowel movements and more bloating

For the past month I have cut out all beer and fast food from my diet. I used to eat fast food daily and drink beer several times a week.

Once I started getting a beer belly I decided to stop the junk food/beer. I have been eating healthy for the past month and cut out all beer. I also excersize daily and do about 100 sit ups every other day.

I understand these things do take time but it seems my bowel movements have decreased and my stomach always feels bloated. I also havent seen the slightest bit of change, sometimes it feels as if my stomach has gotten bigger.

I used to have bowel movements about 2-3 times a day, now it's one or none a day. I dont overeat and I try to incorporate alot of fiber in my diet. Would the lack of bowel movements be the cause for the bloating?

Should I take a laxative?

Any suggestions?
Your diet is very important. but also getting the proper nutrition is crutial. Look up Mona Vie. Do a google search and read the testimonals on this juice. Its a wonderful product and will give you the proper servings of your fruits in just 4 ounces. My whole family is on it and we have seen great success with it, even in our young children. For more info, let me know. Check website daily.
I'd be willing to bet you have a few things going on here:

1.  Beer (or any alcohol for that matter) gives one looser stools.  Even if you don't get diarrhea from drinking, which a lot of people do, it still irritates your bowels, causes them to secrete more water and therefore, you get loose or frequent stools.  If you don't drink anymore, you've probably eliminated that cause of having 2-3 bowel movements a day.

2.  Your body is not used to the fiber you're consuming.  If you're getting a lot of bloating, cut back on the fiber and then increase it again GRADUALLY.

3.  One bowel movement a day is normal.  One bowel movement 3x a week is still normal.  If you're passing hard stools, though, try increasing how much water you drink.  Fiber can constipate you if you don't give it enough fluid to form soft, bulky stools.

And no, don't take a laxative.  You don't need one.
Thank you for the advice
My son is 23yrs old & he came to me the other day and mentioned that he's been having atleast 3-5 bowel movements per day for about the last couple of weeks.  There is no pain associated with these bowel movements, however, he went through this very same thing about 6 months ago.  His stools seem to be normal.  No diarrhea.  No hard stools.  Color is good.  He just seems to have an urgency to have a bowel movement, but when he actually tries to go......it just takes quite awhile to actually go.  He went to our Family Dr. back then and the Dr. gave him a Stool Kit to take home.  It was a screening test for Cancer.
Well.....he didn't even make an attempt to do this 3 day test as I believe it scared the heck out of him.  I had cervical cancer when I was 29....and as of today.....14yrs later eveything is still going good...yay!  Recently his friend had been diagnosed with stomach cancer....to which he recently succumbed to it at the young age of 26.
Yes,...I totally understand the fear that goes through ones mind, but I'm trying to instill in him the importance of being on top of these things.  Health is so very important!  
Now, we can't rule out this dreaded disase, however, I was also diagnosed with Crohn's disease when I was around his age.  Crohn's can be quite painful though.  That's why I feel it's not an issue.
I will be taking him to our Dr. again, most definitely, but I was just wondering if anyone could share any experiences of going through anything similar to this.....
Any Dr. advice out there?
Thanks much