IBS + splenomegaly
I'm a nurse working in an acute hospital situation, I have horses.  I have been diagnosed by my physician with IBS, mild hypercalcemia, mild splenomegaly, 2 episodes of heart arrythmia with inverted P waves and chest pain.  Other than the mildly elevated calcium, all other labs are within normal limits.  No stool cultures. The IBS manifests itself ONLY after I eat a meal with solid food, within 1hr of eating, with acute lower abdominal pain and large amount of diarrhea, lightheadedness, sensation of being cold and shaking.  I had a cholecystectomy prox 2 yrs ago, negative colostomy prox 3 yrs ago, usually have a good immune system but caught EVERYTHING going around last winter including 2 episodes of MRSA 1 episode requiring an I&D of my hand.  Currently, I have had a weight loss of approx. 35# in the past 8-10 weeks.  I experience ongoing fatigue.  Flare up of exzema.  Migraines.  Along with the "IBS". My physician (who is on staff at the same hospital I work at) has attributed everything to "stress" and has prescribed Cymbalta and dicyclomine.  Episodes of "IBS" have been reduced from daily to approximately 3-4 times a week.    I guess my question is, could "stress" actually attribute to IBS AND hypocalcemia AND mild splenomegaly?   How to address your concerns that maybe something has been missed to a physician you see daily at work without insulting him - what other tests suggested.......if possibly not "stress"?  Thanks -  "L"
I have IBS.  I do not have diarrhea with mine, I have the opposite problem.  I am not a medical person as you are and did not understand a lot of what you had written.  However, you might want to look into lactose intolerance and celiac disease. I think that they do a fair amount of testing for the celiac and if after that it looks like celiac they do a stomach biopsy to confirm it.   I know a young lady with lactose intolerance and another one with celiac and their distress sounds almost exactly like yours.

While you are waiting for all this to resolve, you might try a gluten free diet and soy products rather than dairy products.   In any case, I wish you all the best on your journey.    
I would suggest your doctor do a stool culture. I mean this is what I would want done. As far as having bouts of diarrhea after a meal, yes I have that too, but sometimes. It's been more than "sometimes" lately for me though. I'm not losing any weight though. Yes stress too does play a part with IBS - my doctor tells me this all of the time. I would ask your doctor if you could have a colonoscopy and endoscopy done. I also have to agree with Humminbyrd and see if you can be tested for celiac disease and also look into lactose intolerance.