Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
IBS AND UNEXPLAINED WEIGHT LOST "REALLY AFFRAID

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

I WAS DIAGNOED WITH IBS 2 WEEKS AGO. AFTER A YEAR OF DOING TEST. IT ALL STARTED WITH ABDOMINAL PAIN, UNDER MY BELLY BUTTON,AND UNDER MY RIB CAGE ( IT COULD BE ON THE RIGHT SIDE 1 DAY AND THEN ON THE LEFT OR MIDDLE.) BUT THE PAIN WOULD ALWAYS BE UNDER MY BELLY BUTTON. I HAD XRAYS,MRI,CATSCAN,ULTRASOUND,UPPER,& LOWER COLONOSCOPY,BLOOD WORK,STOOL STAMPLES.( IS THERE ANY OTHER TEST?) I HAVE HAD DIE PUT IN ME TO SEE IF MY ORGANS ARE WORKING RIGHT,EVERY TEST COMES BACK NORMAL. I GUESS I HAVE IBS WITH DIARRHEA. I'M READIND SOME OF THE STORIES & NOT MANY ARE SAYING "THEY'RE LOSING WEIGHT. ( WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?)  MY G.I FOUND A PARASITE CALLED "HYPLOR"  TREATED ME FOR THAT,TO DAY WILL BE THE FIRST DAY WITHOUT ANY PILLS FOR THAT. HE PUT ME ON "DICYCLOMINE" (DOES IT WORK IBS?" I AM SCARED OF HOW MUCH WEIGHT I'M LOSING, SOMEONE SAID "IBS  IS A NICE WAY OF TELLING YOU,THAT YOU HAVE CANCER."THEN YOU HEAR "THERE IS A CURE AND THE THERE ISN'T A CURE." WHAT IS TRUE?  THEN YOU HEAR THERE'S A NEW TEST( IN THE UK) FOR IBS CALLED "CDSA"COMPREHENSNE DIGESTIVE STOOL ANALYSIS. IS THIS TEST HER IN THE USA?  IS THERE ANYWAY  A G,I DOCTOR CAN TELL FOR SURE IF YOU HAVE IBS?  SOMEONE TOLD ME " THEY TELL YOU ,YOU HAVE IBS IF THEY DONT KNOW EITHER." WHAT DO I BELIEVE ANYMORE? I CAME ACROSS THIS SITE AND IT SEEMS HERE I CAN GET THE REAL ANSWERS. WHO ELSE WOULD KNOW THE TRUTH BUT OTHER IBS PEOPLE. THANK YOU
I Think you will find that most responses toy your post will be the same here.

IBS is no more than the fact that your colon is not tolerating certain foods. ie:
       Spices, dairy products, fats, oils, salt, sugar, coffee, colas,are most common.

There is a nerve..connected to your colon and rectum. It just will not function properly, and untreatable.

The more you search for answers, the more worried you become. hence your nerves and stomach/colon get affected.

When your foods are not digesting well, your system is on overload..causing the nerves to contract. and your body feeling more anxious, and nervous.

Best thing is to do is...Eat plenty of fiber, fruits, and stay away from the above food triggers as best you can. Multi grain bread is also good. Noodles, potatoes, chicken, some red meats are tolrable if cooked right. ground beef at least for me is not good.

EVERYTHING..in moderation. Start incorporating a diet without trigger foods. See how you do. we are all different.

You may want to ask your doctor about anxiety. IBS and anxiety go hand in hand.

Also excercsize. lightly.

Hopefully others can offer there advise. Best to you.
ibs is not linked to cancer in other words u do not have cancer ,,now some people who have cancer and are on treatments for it may experience stomach problems due to meds and some docs may just call this ibs ---ibs is just a term ,,it covers a massive amount of conditions and u will find people with ,thyroid ,heart,,blood sugar ..allergies..anxiety..stress etc problems will have areas when there digestive process gets disturbed...you have had quite a lot of testing and that is very stressful --for now be happy that the tests have been good and try and work on your diet.....weight loss in ibs is very common some just dont mention it ,,but if u have diarreha everyday u are going to lose weight ,,,so i would work on that for now ,,find ways to control it
try things like
probioitics  these are very helpful and important
psyllium husks   at your health store to help bulk up your food
digestive enzymes
anti-spasmatics
anti-diarrheals
keep a food diary and see if a specific foods are causing this
if your weight loss is chronic i would think about going to see a dietician in order to find a right balance for u .......
but i will again say if u have being given a final diagnosis of ibs -be assured it will cause u no damage and weight loss for some is a problem

keep posted
If continued weight loss is a problem, and you are underweight (use an online BMI calculator to find out if unsure), your doctor should refer you to a nutritionist for help.  On the one front, you are going to need to work toward figuring out what foods you tolerate best and which tend to trigger your symptoms.  In the short term, you may need to boost your calorie intake by whatever means necessary to keep your weight up if you are losing weight dangerously fast or if you are becoming dangerously underweight.  Either of these things can put strain on your internal organs and do need to be taken seriously.  So talk to your doctor about the weight loss if it is that dramatic!  There are ways to supplement your calorie intake (formulations such as ensure), but you need to do this with the guidance of a professional.
hi ,,,i know how scared,and confused you are ,,iv been ther,,and iv just popped in to tell you,,that i have read ur post and i have read ur replies,,and trust me,what the other replies are saying is true,,i too have lost alot of weight,i was 7 st 4 ,now im just 5 st 12.. i know its scary,,im living it too..but can i also say that finding this site has really helped me,,and now,i dont feel so alone with my problems,,pls try to calm down,,you have not got cancer,,or the tests would have picked it up,,i do hope this reply and the others help you,,has  stress,worry,fear,,all the negative emotions realy do make ur symtoms (symptoms) worse,,,good luck,,,, viv   xxxx