Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
IBS Symptoms?!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

IBS Symptoms?!

Hello. I am a 26 year old male. I have had low iron issues and acid reflux issues in the past.
Most recently I have had low B12 issues as well as fatigue and dizzyiness/light headedness.
About 4 years ago I was on "Nexium" for approximately 1 year and it really helped until I started to develop different stomach problems so I decided to stop taking it all together.
Since then I have had frequent stomach pains, mostly in the mornings(almost every morning) and I get the pain and sense of urgency that I just have to run to the bathroom.
Sometimes I use the washroom 3 times within a few hours.
Usually after the 2nd or 3rd time my stomach aches because of the bowel movements but then the pain starts to subside and I can go about my day.
As of 2 weeks ago I started to experience dizziness, it would happen sporadically and only last a minute but it is scary. My body kind of gets numb and tingly and my world goes all off balance.
This dizziness does not happen often but I feel lightheaded and out of it most of the time now.
I sometimes have slight chest pains and shortness of breathe..as well as acid reflux.
It seems like I have a whole lot of symptoms and I cannot explain them.
My doctor thinks I have IBS..but no tests have been done yet.
Also, on my most recent blood test my Iron levels and B12 levels were perfect..but my hemoglobin was low.
I need help!! Does anyone else have similar symptoms?
I would love to discuss this more.

Other possibly contributors to the symptoms : Coffee(caffeine), Stress Milk
Actually there is no real test for IBS.  After blood work, stool samples, endocosopy and colonoscopy to rule out other gastrointestinal problems, then IBS is usually indicated.  I have tried in the past to use Heather's Peppermint Pills which you can purchase at Amazon and they really helped me a lot.  I also changed my diet, eliminated coffee (even decafinated) and many other foods - and did find relief.  I would definitely say to have the test dones to eliminate the possibility of any gastrointestinal illness and also to make sure you are not suffering from Celiac disease.  If you do have a colonscopy, do ask to have the surgeon to check for that.  Do not go on a celiac diet before hand because your results could show a false negative.
Thank you cararific.

Does your IBS ever affect your head?
I feel like when my stomach hurts I get lightheaded and/or off balance.
Please let me know.
I have suffered from ibs for years, and I often suffer from this "light.  I headed" kind of feeling. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has this trouble.  
I think due to your other health issues, that too could be a contributing factor to feeling light headed.  Also though, when I have had bouts of diarrhea in the morning before breakfast, I sometimes do feel that way - because during flareups you are loosing much of your nutrition and body weight too.
How do you describe your IBS symptoms on a day to day basis?
How many times a day do you have diarrhea? mainly in morning? afternoon? night? after a big meal?
Do you experience any other regular symptoms?

I am really trying to understand my stomach issues..nothing is making sense.
Any more info you can give me would be appreciated.

So far every doctor I have seen says I have anxiety..and that is the main cause. I was also recommended Imodium (immodium).
I took 1 pill before bed one night, woke up next day and felt great.
That night I started to have bad stomach cramps and the following day the cramps were really bad and I could not go to the bathroom at all.
It was not helpful! Ruined my day completely..I had to take a Tylenol and sleep. So much for that idea.