Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
IBS and food allergies/sensitivities?? anybody else know about this??

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Ive had IBS for many years nows and have never had any real solutions for my problem. I was recently told that IBS could be cause by food allergies and sensitivities.      Has any ever heard of this before?      None of my doctors have, but i have lost faith in them a while ago.     what do you think???
ibs is generally caused by a problem with the rhythm control in the muscles in the bowel sometimes they work to fast as in diarreha and sometime too slow as in constipaton..now certain foods will naturally be digested faster than others even in a normal setting and certain foods will be digested slower etc ...as we are all different in food tastes and food likes these tend to differ from person to person but in general if u are allergic to a certain food that is your problem not ibs .in other words if u or me were lactose intolerant and had symptoms of ibs well then if we went on a lactose free diet the problem would be solved if u understand me ,,so when people eat and have symptoms of ibs they assiocate these symptoms with the food they have eaten and start to avoid .so it might not be allergies to a certain degree but just find a right balance and new way of eating and getting the mix right,so as to not overload the rhythm control of the bowel.high sugar foods have been known to cause probs and caffeine .i mean if u think about a lot of people have coffee with or after a meal and what happens ibs symptoms,,,eating smaller meals and frequent meals is of a big help .probiotics are massive in helping with ibs also ,there is a lot more reserch going on in realation to ibs and maybe soon in the future there will be better answers ,but a lot of docs dont know how to tackle this

i hope that helps a little
take care
I have had IBS for a couple of years ,got so fed up with it so paid over £200 for a york test
was i surprised it came back i was allergic to "milk-eggs-yeast-some herbs so a test has worked for me.As the main one was milk i now have Alpro Soya no symptoms for 3 weeks now,so if you live in England save up and have the test
Yes, what doctors diagnose as IBS can be caused by food sensitivities, if not out-and-out allergies.  It might help if you keep a food diary and write down every day for a while the foods you eat along with your symptoms.  You may be able to see how certain foods relate to flare ups in your symptoms.  You can go on an elimination diet where you just eat foods that you know you are fine with for a while.  Then introduce one suspicious food every three days or so to see how you react.  I know of one individual that has to rotate grains and watch the amount of grain eaten each day.  For example, he eats oats one day, then rice the next, then wheat, then corn, then barley, then back to oats and so on, trying not to "overdose" on any one grain in one day.  
I have it to! I understand what you are going through and I am out the other end with no pain now.

Most inportant: Avoid caffein, coffee, alcohol, fast food, and white sugar.

Avoid raw veggetables and fruits, stick to cooked veggies and dried fruits to start.
Avoid liquid foods like shakes
Avoid almost all High fat foods ie.peanut butter etc.
Avoid large meals
Avoid eating late at night
Avoid canned, packaged, processed foods.

Be patient as it takes a week or two for your symptoms to calm down
I am at present really not well, severe stomach pains and vomiting, wierd headaches, for the first time ever last week had a migraine headache (I'm 55). Have had IBS for close to 40 years - but this doesn't feel like IBS. I'm thinking Ulcers - but not sure - keep getting blister like spots around my stomach area. As soon as I eat a meal (very small amounts) I vomit. Doctor gave me pills to stop stomach acid, but I'm still vomiting (pills did help with stomach acid). Gave me soluble aspirin for the headaches (not taking though because of the sensitive stomach from IBS) and also gave me soluble magnesium, because she said sometimes the headaches are caused by a magnesium deficiency. All this is driving me mad, I hate being sick, it's been going on nearly one month now. Blood results are back on Wednesday - lets see!
I was told I had IBS and it may have been from allergies to food.

Well, in the long run it really was gallbladder disease and I am very annoyed with doctors cause I always did not believe IBS.

Once Gallbladder removed my pain has gone, I just have some small digestive issues only when I eat too much meat, fatty stuff or any foods I really know I should not eat.

Good luck, just thought I would tell you my story
sue