Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
IBS at night- How can you sleep?
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

IBS at night- How can you sleep?

Hello all,

I have had IBS for about a year off an on, and for the past several months it has been waking me up at night with the pain. I am very regular and rarely constipated or have diarrhea, but it is as if I can feel my stomach digesting through my colon all night. I initially can fall asleep, but then wake up either a few hours after I have fallen asleep due to symptoms or a few hours before I am supposed to wake up. I have tried Ambien before I go to sleep when I have symptoms  but it is not something one can take in the middle of the night because the effects last too long. Someone suggested trying Xanax when I wake in the middle of the night? I have tried drinking a cup of chamomile/peppermint/fennel tea blend and while that does ease the symptoms, I then have to get up and pee every 20 minutes for like an hour. I am an American masters student living in the UK and currently doing my dissertation, and I feel like doctors here are reluctant to prescribe anything and it can be so frustrating, Literally, they give me 5 ambien at a time. In any case, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do when I wake up?
Thank you for your time,
Lacy