Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
IBS bloating

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

IBS bloating

3 months ago I started having a problem with diarrhea that lasted 2-3 weeks.  I finally got it stopped with immodium and then I went a few weeks with loose stools but not really diarrhea.  I took immodium and then it went closer to constipation and I only had a bm about every 3rd day.  During this whole time my abdomen has beed distended.  In the morning it is not quite as big, but as the day go on its gets bigger.  I pretty much look about 4 months pregnant and it is uncomfortable.   Now bms are better, but the bloating will just not leave.  I have been to Internal Med doc and also Gastro and have had numerous tests.  Ultrasound, CT scan, celiac, thyroid, and today colonoscopy and endoscopy.  I was given anti-spasm drug for colon, intestional antibiotic, and an anti-depressant for stress.  The only thing found was a liver lesion-probably hemangioma on my liver and a little gastritis, which they are biopsying, in my stomach.  Doctors says it has to be IBS because nothing else showed a positive.  Doc says can't do anything about the bloating-just give it time. It is uncomfortable and has not gone away in 3 months.  I am taking Align probiotic, Beano, and gas-x and nothing seems to make a difference.  Even tho my stomach is distended I have lost 5 pounds, not usually feeling very hungry.  I am at my wits end, anyone have any suggestion how to get rid of bloat?
What was happening 3 months ago in your life that started diarrhea out of the blue, did you have something in your life change, more stress, illness.  It seems as though you have gone and done many tests, like myself, who was always told good news everything looks fine, which was the last thing i wanted to hear.  youll have to wait to see what the biopsy says, but in the meantime, i usually just lay on my bed on my stomach to try to ellivate the pressure, it usually helps, seems like i spend alot of time doing that, gas x and the other medications dont do a thing for me.  let us know how you are doing and what the test says.
good luck

crumy
In my personal experience, yes stress or other lifestyle habbits will create the onset of IBS but it can actually be managed with WHAT you eat. I suffered this problem for 25 yrs, but now I am pain and bloated FREE all because of my diet. There are many websites that will help you with what to and not to eat so look up "IBS foods", but for example

Foods to avoid:

Coffee
Alchohol
Processed foods (canned, packaged, premade foods)
High fat foods (especially with saturated fats)
Whole grain products
Raw vegetables (cook or peel)
Fresh fruits (try dried)
Red meats

after working with your diet for months you will be able to add in one or more foods at a time with balance.