Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
IBS help

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

IBS help

I have a problem which is whenever i have to go to school i have to go to the toilet in the morning like 5 times or more and i still feel the need to go and then when im in lesson i just have a feeling to go to the toilet which makes concentrating impossible!

I have been diagnosed with ibs but normally at home or with friends i have completly normal bowel movements and feel fine. Any help/stratagies would be much appreciated.
You said it happens throughout the morning; is it always/nearly always in the morning hours? And only on school days? Does your doctor know about that aspect of it? If it's only school days, perhaps stress causes it to act up; that's common with IBS. I don't say that to suggest you're crazy or anything-- it's physical responses to stress that cause it.

If it happens in the mornings on days when you don't have school, explain that to your doctor. It could be that you have something a little different from IBS, but certainly no one but your doctor can really guess at that.

Ask your doctor about strategies for coping with it at school, too. I don't want to suggest dietary changes since I'm not your doctor-- or a doctor at all-- but there may be some which would reduce it happening at school so often.
First of thanks for the quick reply! Ive only recently gone back to school after a long time of and as of yet i have only had school in the morning (Im in sixth form and only atking 2 a levels) so i dont know if it only happens in the morning having said that i dont think time of day effects it. It only really happens when going to school or before long journeys.

I hadn't though about stress for a factor as before i was ill i was normally relaxed but no you say it i think it definatly is a factor. I havent talked to my doctor yet as ive only been going to school last 2 weeks but i have an appointment soon where i can ask him.

Thankyou for the advice