Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
IBS or Sprue/Celiac disease?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

IBS or Sprue/Celiac disease?

I was told 18 years ago that I have IBS...I have been questioning that as of late.

Here is something for all IBS sufferers to think about:

Was just reading some info on an IBS diet site and it turns out that there is some "home testing" that you can do to help determine which of the two you may (or may not) have.

As I was reading the list of things you SHOULD eat if you have IBS, I noticed that most items on that list do just the opposite for me. All of the soluble fibre that they suggest to conquer IBS make me sick every time I eat them.
The list is comprised of many gluten laden items.
The items to avoid are much like the items to consume if you have Celiac/Sprue...I find this very interesting.
There were, however, items on both lists to avoid that were similar such as whole wheat.
Pasta, white bread, potatoes,oatmeal, etc all make me sick...but I've been eating them because that's what I've been told to eat for the IBS.
Think I'll switch over to a Sprue/Celiac disease diet for awhile instead and see how that goes.

Hopefully this may help others who are suffering all the time, even when they are following "doctor's orders" about which diet to follow.
An easy was to figure out if you have celiac disease (or gluten intolerance) is to eliminate 100% of all gluten from your diet for 2 months and see if it helps.  If it helps, then you should eliminate all gluten for the rest of your life.  It is hard, but if it helps your symptoms it is worth it.