Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
IBS suddenly gone when I returned to states. Possible?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

I went to Ireland for 4 months and about month into the trip started experiencing diarrhea on a daily basis with some associated nausea and flatulence. I was tested for different food allergies and parasites, but all came back negative. They settled with IBS even though I'm a healthy, stress free 20 year old that had never previously had digestive problems till Ireland. I thus cut out dairy, red meat, and greasy food for the remaining 3 months. Not much changed doing this but figured any relief was better than none. I have now been home for a week, have gotten more tests done that have come back negative, and now they want a colonoscopy. I seem to be improving and that my stools are more normal. The flatulence is completely gone. However, I am experiencing more nausea as I return to eating dairy and meat. I'm nervous to cancel the colonoscopy and tell the doctors I am fine because the nausea is clearly not normal either but the symptoms I had in Ireland are gone. Is it possible to just have not agreed with Irish food and now my body is just trying to adjust to not being vegan anymore? Or is it a better idea to keep getting all these expensive tests? Just wish I could give my doctor a call and ask but you have to make an appointment and that takes weeks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tags: IBS, Ireland, Traveling
I think it is most likely what you was experiencing was traveler's diarrhea.  It is common in people who travel outside of the country.  From the information you have given, I don't believe you have IBS. IBS does tend to manifest in everyone differently.  

I believe the nausea you are experiencing now is probably from your body getting adjusted to dairy and meat.  

I would add that I believe it would be wise to continue with the tests, if at all possible.  I feel like this would allow you to narrow down the exact problem.