Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
IBS yellow poop

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

IBS yellow poop

I was diagnosed with IBS.. I am 55...I have had a cat scan several times due to side pain that wraps around to my back.. they say nothing shows on it.. then I've had my gall bladder removed and the pain did not go away,,, my IBS seems to be getting worse, but now my stool is banana yellow. that does that mean?
Yellow stool usually means that food is passing through the digestive tract relatively quickly.  Do you normally have IBS with diarrhea or with constipation or alternating?  What dietary changes/medications have you tried for your IBS?
Hi 915.. I have not had that many problems with IBS.. just food intolerances, or allergies, eg:  sulphites, yeast, etc.. that seems to set me off, but mostly diarrhea./. I just try and stay away from, foods that irritate my system.. I have tried staying away from gluten, yeast, sulphites, but its so hard to know, as some foods have hidden ingredients.. This is the first time I have experienced the yellow diarrhea or stool.. I had to take a pill yesterday so I could sing at an Easter celebration, and have not gone since.. not sure what to do at this point.. any suggestions?  the only med I am on is Crestor for high cholestoral..
Yellow stool can also indicate an infection if it comes on suddenly.  How long have you had yellow stool?  Are you having any other symptoms along with this that you can think of?
I woke up 4 nights ago with extreme diarrhea, and vomiting, along with virtigo.. It was the worst night of my life.. this kept up for one night, but then diarrhea persisted the next day with bright yellow diarrhea... I took a pill to bind me as I had commitments to go to, so I have not had another bowel movement since..

I have had my gall bladder out 3 years ago, after suffering with 10 years of side pain, (which has not gone away)... have always had trouble with food intolerences, etc.. sulphites, yeast, coffee.. which gave me bouts of diarrhea as well, so in answer to your question, no, I've never had yellow stool before, although it has gotten lighter by quite a bit..
I think it is time you see your doctor about this and get some blood tests and maybe stool tests to make sure that everything is okay.
I am awaiting confirmation for another colonoscopy... thanks for your help.. now I am really nervous as I leave for a trip to Holland in 3 days..   I have not had a bowel movememt since 3 days now... I'm thinking I had the flu.. but I can't tell right now.. thanks for your help with this..
I would recommend getting blood and stool tests before a colonoscopy.  A colonoscopy is a bigger deal and if the problem is found in the blood or stool tests, then you don't need to suffer through a colonoscopy.
ok, thanks for your suggestions.. I will ask the Dr for that first.. It is day 5 now and today is the first day that I had a small regular, (brown) bowel movement.., I am hoping that this whole ordeal was the flu... but I will ask for both those tests.. what blood test should I ask for?
I would ask for just basic blood tests.  This includes a CBC (complete blood count), chemistry panel, amylase, etc.