IBS?
I have a pain that occurs in the lower back (just above Coccyx) that seems to be related to gas build up in the bowel. It is relieved when I pass wind. I have had it for the past 2 weeks on and off. I think it also affects the digestive process, as I have upset stomachs occasionally. I am a 48 year old male who has been vegetarian for the past 3 years. There is no problem with urine or stools (except after a stomach upset where all food doesn't seem to be processed).
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The pain could be due to inflammation of the coccyx. Its unlikely that IBS can cause back pain. IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, i.e. once all other diseases of the colon like colitis, infections, tumors etc. have been ruled out, then the diagnosis of IBS is made.

Take OTC pain medications like Tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen. Ensure to take them after food. If the pain persists or becomes more severe please consult your primary care physician.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hello Dr Anitha,

Thanks for the response. I only mentioned the coccyx in terms of the area where the pain is. It actually feels more about two inches above the coccyx and as if it is inside.

Reagrds
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Ok. The pain and the bowel symptoms could be due to IBS. But IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, i.e. once all other diseases of the colon like colitis, infections, tumors etc. have been ruled out, then the diagnosis of IBS is made. Please consult your doctor, who may ask for blood tests and sometimes a colonoscopy to rule out these conditions.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.