Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
IBS
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

IBS

I am a 19 year old female, and I believe I am suffering from IBS with constipation.  I have been in and out of doctors offices for 2 years now, and the most constructive answer anyone has come up with to solve my problems is severe lactose intolerance.  Although eliminating all dairy products and products made with dairy from my diet has helped with the symptoms, there are still times when they persist, and there are also a lot of other triggers that seem to cause them.   The list of foods I avoid seems almost endless..making a normal life for a college freshman tougher than normal.  I am struggling to stay off of laxatives, in search of any relief of the abdominal pain and discomfort.  Does anyone have any further information with anything like this? I know this is a very popular condition, although it seems that no one wants to admit that I may have it, or have any good ideas about what to do to help.  Any ideas!? Please help.

et.
Related Discussions
410943_tn?1202266042
I am surprised and disapointed that no doctor has helped you out with this IBS condition, but it was the same for me. Here are a few things to do and/or avoid.

Avoid coffee, alcohol, chocolate, sugar, or other stimulant!

Fats, like deep fried, are common trigger foods best to stay away from.

Grains can be harder to digest and sourdough or french bread easier.

Avoid liquid foods, for they excentuat the bloating.

Avoid drinking water while eating a meal.

While symtoms (symptoms) are acute, avoid most fresh fruits (except maybe bananas) and raw vegetables (except maybe spinach or herbs), the best bet is dried fruit (dried papaya has great digestive enzymes) or cooked vegetables.

Avoid red meets, stay with chicken, white turkey, or fish.

Take digestive enzymes.

Relax and destress your life! Stress is a big big trigger fro IBS.

Just to stress it again, coffee and alcohol are huge triggers. Also, look at the labels of foods because the excess fats and sugars will likely disagree with your body..ie. peanut butter, chips, artificial sweeteners (except stevia), juice, or any other processed food.

This is my own personal experience and not meant to be taken as doctors recommendations.

I hope this helps
Good Luck

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979