L-Glutamine helps but causes joint pain?
I’ve been struggling with IBS, slow digestion and GERD for several years now.  Recently, my gastro doctor had me try L-Glutamine.  First, I started the dose at 500mg 3 times a day on an empty stomach.  I’ve increased the dose up to 3grams a day, dosing 1000mg 3 times a day on an empty stomach.  The goal that my Dr and I set was to reach 12grams a day.  At the 3 gram dose, I’ve had some considerable improvement in symptoms with bloating and acid reflux, but I noticed I getting some serious joint pain in my hands, feet and knees.  I think I need to stop because the pain is getting worse.  Can someone tell me why my joints are aching in response to the L-Glutamine treatment?  
My naturopath put me also on L-Glutamine on an empty stomach, but it is also supposed to help with joint pain so I am unsure as to why your body is reacting that way. Maybe the dosage is to high for you? Excess L-Glutamin does cause amonia buildup in the blood but usually not until excess of 5 grams.

Good Luck
I solved the problem taking Zinc(50mg), with L-Glutamine