I am writing this letter with the hope that someone out there will be able to give me some pointers to deal with my Digestive Health condition. I have attached all my results, and also summarized my understanding here.
I am a 44 years old male, originally from India, and have lived in the US for 20 years now. In January of 2010, I came back from a trip to India with pencil-like stools. After a couple of months of analysis, the doctors found this to be the parasite “Endolimax Nana”. They gave me Metronidazole 500 mg for a week. According to follow-up tests, the parasite was gone. However, I continued digestive symptoms, which have persisted (in varying form) for 2.5 years now. My issues at this point are:
• I have bowel movement three times in the morning. It is not well-formed – sort of scattered, sometimes loose. Sometimes, I see undigested food items in it – spinach, split beans, etc.
• Most days, I have bowel movement in the evening as well. I feel like I need to go, but it is hard to pass stool. Once again, it is not formed.
• I feel bloating in my belly – it is a bit distended. As you can see in the picture below. I am not sure if it is related to my digestive issues or something else.
For the last two and half years, I have gone to various doctors and have had a lot of tests done. The test results from October 2011 and May 2012 are attached. For the most part, doctors said it is IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). Of all results, here are a couple that I find significant:
• In October 2011, they did an X-Ray of my stomach and found that there is “a large amount of dried stool in the ascending colon”. See picture below (also attached
• In May 2012, I had a GI Panel done from MetaMatrix. The results indicate that there is “Parasite present; taxonomy unavailable.” See attached document GI_Panel_May_2012.pdf.
• My doctor suspected that I have Gluten Intolerance.
The current situation is as follows. I am still having the issues. I am taking the following medications/supplements:
• Betaine Plus HP (http://www.bioticsresearch.com/node/1634)
• Sweetish Bitters (http://www.gaiaherbs.com/products/detail/375/Sweetish-Bitters-Elixir-)
• Beta Plus (http://www.bioticsresearch.com/node/1550)
• Zn Zyme Forte (http://www.bioticsresearch.com/node/1622)
• DHEA (https://www.douglaslabs.com/pdf/pds/83025.pdf)
• Armour Thyroid (by prescription)
• CINA 6c (Homeopatic medicine) - http://www.vitaminlife.com/product-exec/PNAME/Cina-6C-MD/product_id/49961
• Diatomaceous Earth from http://www.earthworkshealth.com/.
• Cr-Zyme (http://www.bioticsresearch.com/node/1692)
• V-Zyme http://www.bioticsresearch.com/node/1591
Well, the result is no improvement.
I’m looking for any help, pointers that anyone may be able to offer.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. Please feel free to ask any questions.
Exam: Abdominal series 10/21/2011
Clinical Information: Evaluate stool burden.
Findings: There is no free intraperitoneal air. The bowel gas pattern is nonobstructed. There is a large amount of stool in the ascending colon, with moderate stool throughout the colon otherwise. Lung bases are clear. No organomegaly or pathologic calcifications are present. Pelvic phleboliths are seen. No suspicious osseous abnormalities are identified.
Large amount of proximal colonic stool with moderate colonic stool distally to this. No fecal impaction
or bowel obstruction.
Welcome to the IBS community! It sounds like you may have IBS causing constipation. What dietary changes have you tried for this? Also, I warn you against taking so many supplements (especially if they are not helping) as these can cause problems.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.