Left upper abdominal pains....
Been experiencing this for about 6 months -- comes and goes... empty/hungry or with food.... all different foods.

2 weeks ago, ended up in the ER with horrible pains (which lead to a panic attack, that's another story). Did amylase and lipase blood tests and a CT scan with Dye/IV contrast... Showed nothing - showed a umbilical hernia, not in the same area where the pain sits... it's under the left breast, ribcage area, to the side and around the back, up the back into the neck.

Was given Maalox, some esophagal numbing med and Gas meds.. Was sent home - went on a cruise this past week, believe me, WE ATE!!! Yesterday, Pain hit FULL FORCE and ended me back in my cabin, having a full fledged panic attack, took some xanax.. had a few belly ache pains along w/ the left sided pain --- took about an hour, pain subsided a little, but pain remained ( was on a cruise ship - was worried if it was something really MAJOR, i'd be in trouble, so i panicked more).. anyways!, turned out okay - ate something light for dinner, fruit and some rice... ginger ale to drink and it seem to subside.
Woke this morning, wasn't bad, here I sit typing this, trying to figure out what the docs cant.
I have had cardia workups, was told to diet and lose weight, as they always tell me, I know I have too, will start tomorrow, but thinking.... WHAT COULD THIS BE?? Could my hubbie and son be right - gas? gastric issues again? No, can't be gallbladder, had it removed 2 years ago.

The left sided pain, is very very weird! and intense...

Could it be a digestive problem with enzymes. I had nothing yesterday to trigger it, could it be an empty stomach?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If the pain is very severe, it could be renal colic, small stones may pass through and may not be detected by imaging studies. The other causes for the pain could be infections of the bowel and kidney, prolapsed intervertebral disc or inflammatory diseases of the colon. Please consult your primary care physician who will do blood tests, x- rays and may ask for an ultrasonogram to find out the cause for the pain. In the meantime drink plenty of water and take OTC naproxen for relief from pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.