Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Leg Pain with IBS?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Leg Pain with IBS?

I have been diagnosed with  post infectious IBS early this year. I mostly have constipation. But I have had these weird  bouts on and off- and i am not quite clear whether my symptoms are IBS:

In the past 3 months i have had 2 attacks where i got pains in my legs, particularly the backs of both knees, followed by bad diarrhea- which lasted for several hours. The first time i was really naseated and had chills. Anyhow i (and my doctor) though it might have been food poisoning or a virus. The leg pains went on for a couple weeks afterward then they disappeared completely. The second time a few days ago- I got the leg pains again and then was very sick that night- simiarly to before but I also threw up. I am having leg pains and saw a doctor who was pretty assuring that this was ibs- saying everyone is different and if you recover quickly from a bout like that you should be okay, etc. It doesn't sound right to me. I have had my electrolytes tested and they are normal. I have had 2 CT scans prior to my initial diagnosis- because i was having pain on the right side to rule out appendicitis.  They came back ok. The first scan there was a little inflammation near the appendix  that went away with the second CT. Other that all was apparently normal. I still get dull pain on my right side but i take probiotics and this seems to help it.

I am just worried by these attacks because they don't seem like ibs- from what i have studied about the symptoms. I awas looking online and saw they may coinside with endometriosis. Does anyone out there have any info or a similar situation?
hi
there is a lot of nerve activity in ibs the whole gut is lined with nerves and somtimes when an attack or i will use the word flare-up happens nerve sensitivity can increase and may cause pain down the legs .i have ibs and i often get pains down my legs -my arms -right side of belly --left side of belly been through all the tests etc. sometimes ibs just simply affects us all differently as is the nature of the syndrome.
but the best place is to stick to your doc if u feel ibs is not what is. wrong keep pushing for an answer-but try to not get over-anxious about it cause that really is where ibs moves up to a another level

take care and keep posted
Thanks for your input. I feel better know that someone else can relate to these symptoms. (not that I'd wish them for anyone, of course.)

I have the same exact symptoms.  My gallbladder and appendix was removed 19 years ago.  However, I've always had the slight discomfort on my right side and I cannot eat heavy.  I was also diagnosed with IBS.  The Levisin helped but my Pharmacist just notified me that the Manufacturer is no longer making Levisin and I should call my doctor to ask for a similar drug.   I noticed the pain more recently due to holding down a full time job, working on my Masters Degree along with completing an internship.  I definitely believe it is stress related along with putting on a few unwanted pounds.