Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Morning diarrhea and cramping

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Morning diarrhea and cramping

Every morning upon getting out of bed I develope abdominal cramping and diarrhea. I can have 1-3 episodes and then I'm fine the rest of the day. I get up during the night and don't have this problem. I only occurs upon awkening in the morning and get out of bed. This commonly happens before I even eat breakfast. I had my gallbladder removed several years ago, but had no problems after. I have hypothyroidism, but it is controlled with medication. I need Help?
try talking psyllium husks at night time and see if this helps in the morning ...also try and not eat anything large after 8 try this for a week and see if it makes a difference ..morning diarrhea is quite common in ibs ...................hypothyroidism and ibs are quite common too .......
I have been having the same problem. I wake up every morning with an upset stomach, bloating, cramping, and diarrhea. I will have the diarrhea a few times and then I won't have it for the rest of the day. The pain will usually subside after this happens. I have also had no appetite and extreme nauseau that lasts throughout the day. I recently went to see my dr and he told me that I have ibs and it was probably stress related. He also told me that there are no medications that will really help with ibs. So, I know how you are feeling. It's very uncomfortable. All I can really do is watch what I eat and hope that I feel better and I hope the same for you.
i have had this same problem for about a week and a half now, and i often have stomach cramps in the morning but sometimes not as bad, they get worse when i am under alot of stress. i just recently started going back to night school while working during the day, struggling with money problems and raising a 3 year old, so my stress levels have changed drastically. i wake up in the morning with excruciating pain in my upper left side that migrates down into my intestines and around the side of my back. it is unbearable in the morning but gets better after i take a hot bath and i go off to work. for example the other day i was fine all day till i got pulled over for speeding, and my stomach started hurting [very stress related]. my problem is I binge drink, and they think it could be pancreatitis because i had a very bad episode and was in the ER with this about a month and a half ago to where i could hardly walk. they did a rectum sample yesterday and it was VERY mucousy. thats a sign of IBS. i honestly think i have IBS but they are being very careful with the diagnosis because of my Hypothyroidism. but hypothyroidism and ibs, and even pancreatitis are very related. But i fell you pain
Drat! GI problems take lots of maintenance! .I went through the same thing for many months. I had difficulty figuring out what was happening because, like you, I had other conditions contributing to by gastrointestinal problemsI feel more secure in life knowing that there are things I can do to control that chronic pain.
Here's what I learned:

My pain was associated with two conditions (1) an empty stomach and (2) gas. I also had chronic diarrhea, which I learned was due to some undetected lactose intolerance. the diarrhea stopped when I stopped consuming milk productts. Thte pain from empty stomach stopped when I incorportaed regular fiber supplements (mentamucil, metamucil crackers, benefiber, or psyllium husks) into my regimen, at least twice a day. When I have had fibe and still have pain, it is associated with gas. I then use beano or something like that.  GOOD LUCK CHUM IN SUFFERING!
off and on for the last 7 or 8 years id have to say i am woken up between 2-6 with the cramps and the runs and the only thing that tends to stop it for me is i hop in a boiling hot bath and soak for an hour and i drink some room temp bottle water while in tub and then i go back to bed to finish my night and im fine when i wake up but if i didnt do this it would be back and forth to the toilet and bed now this normally all happens when i eat the bad food im not suposed to eat like spicy foods and such but i love it so much and i keep thinking nah it wont happen tonight hahaha guess again but anyhow i just thought id share and it might help some of you out take a bath drink some water get some rest cuz we all gotta work tomorrow
The way you described your pain is very similar to what I had - intense pain that starts on my left side and then travels around the back, sometimes so intense I was taken to the emergency twice.   The first time it happened it was just a fleeting pain and occurred infrequently.  In the course of a year it increased in frequency, intensity and duration.  I would be on the curled up in pain. The culprit was a stone in my gall bladder which was surgically removed.