Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Mucus in Stool

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Mucus in Stool

I am a life time IBS with Severe Constipation sufferer. I pass BMs the size of a baseball and hard as a rock and very dry. Recently I have been suffering from extreme lower abdomen pains on my left and right side. I also have had a severe pain in my right upper quadrant for over a week now. Today have had several BMs with the consistancy of a normal BM ( never had diahrea or normal BM in my life) and have alot of mucus with the BMs and with passing gas. My anus has a burning sensation and more sore then usual. My right upper quadrant was checked at the ER about a week and a half ago and the prognosis was too much acid in the stomach. I was prescribed and acid reducer and demoral for pain. The pain has not decreased. The pain is right under the ribs and is on the front side as well as the back. According to the ER the Gallbladder, and pancreas is ok. Any sugestions on what may be causing this very unusual thing that is happening to me or advice would be greatly appreciated.
the mucus in the lining of the intestine protects it and too much acid will erode it and may/can result in ulcers down the line.i am sure u know how to treat constipation if u have ibs a long time so i wont go into that.
but maybe u are better on a low fat low acidic diet for now watching sugars as well,high fibre and plenty of fresh water.
the bowels need water and loads of it to function properly and also it would mean no caffine of any kind as this actually dehydrates the body as well.i am not saying u dont do this all-ready just giving some blind tips.
l-glutamine is the best enzynme for the lining of the stomach and is safe to take and can be bought in most health stores -talk to the health advisor there on how much is good for u
ibs is all diet,diet and more diet ---finding patterns and believe it or not eating at the correct times and allowing the body to digest correctly.
if u dont mind me asking
are u under a lot of stress in your life?
are u on any meds that could/have caused this
No more stress then usual and only the meds are mentioned above.  But why am I passing large amounts of mucus and some blood along with extreme pain in the upper right quadrant That is my concern. I do the whole diet thing I have been doing it since my IBS started. The pain is constant never ending for three weeks. Not argueingor debating with you, but this is definately hurting the quality of my life and I am debating if I should keep waiting for my insurance to kick in or just get another hospital bill to try to pay off.
were u checked for ibd or for inflammaton in the bowel
--if u are feeling unwell and are unsure as about what is happening or what is causing u pain --only your doctor at the end of the day can point u in the right direction there.a lot of folks inc me in here suffer from ibs when u have ibs for a long time like me u tend to try and control it with diet as nobody wants to be on contiuous meds for something that 1 there is no specific tests for and 2 no specific treatments.
the only reason i asked about stress cause in a otherwise healthy person stress is the biggest cause of ibs cause stress wrecks the digestive system.
there should be no blood involed in ibs that is more in line with ibd /colitis alltough u could be tearing the inside of your colon with passing large stools but that come's back to your doc again.
if u are un sure go to your doc for peace of mind
ibs will upset patterns in your life because of the nature of the symptoms
if u not attending a gastrologist maybe u should

let us know how u get on or if u feel better
The pain is definately getting worse and it is starting to concern me, i am going to get checked as soon as I can waiting for the state to approve my medicaid so i have no more bills. My husband worries that it could be something dire and wants me to get checked out now. So it depends on if i cant handle the pain anymore i guess.  I will keep ya updated...thank you.