Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
My 8-year olds stomach cramps

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

My 8-year olds stomach cramps

wonder if someone can give me advice. My 8 year old daughter is otherwise fit and healthy. A week ago she had stomach pains after her bowel movement which went on for about 2 hours. She said she felt as if she was going to vomit also but didnt. The next night it happened again - exactly the same - about 10 minutes after opening her bowels. The stools themselves were a bit soft but otherwise ok. Then it went away for 4 days. Tonight she was in discomfort, again a little time after opening her bowels. In between she has had 10 minute discomforts about 5 times which have all been random and varied.

As she wasnt writhing in agony I didnt call a doctor straight away, but phoned NHS Direct which in the UK is a free phone-up advice line. After answering a lot of questions I was told that she probably had a bit of a tummy bug and to give her some painkillers for the ache and see how she went; if it persisted, to call a doctor.  After about two hours it went again and she was fine and could eat and drink as normal and the nauseous feeling went totally.

Could she have IBS at 8 years old? She has the pontential to have anxiety issues due to her Dad and I having split up when she was 3 and although she has grown up with it and got used to it, all of a sudden she seems to be focussing on it a lot. I do my best to keep the calm and reassure her but she is a little afraid of her Dad as he is a bit of a bully (although I dont say that to her)

Advice please on how to deal with this - I dont want to add to her anxiety by being an over-anxious Mum!

thanks
I will tell you I had IBS ever since I was a kid. I remember crying of cramping, pain, and vomiting all the time as a young girl. It wasn't until I was 20 that I figured it out that I had IBS. I am able to manage it with my diet so I would strongly reccomend reading some websited on recommended foods for IBS. Stay away from beef, canned goods, acidic foods, raw veggies and fruits, fatty foods, candy, cakes, and so many more. Read about it and try easier foods for a while with your daughter. If only my parents asked more questions when I was a little girl.

Good Luck
My son had stomach cramps all school term when he was younger and came to find out it was nerves.  He never let on that he was anxious about school but once school was out the pains went away.

Also, a friend has celiac disease and there isn't a lot known about this but it does have similiar symptoms as IBS.  You may also want to google this for more information.  It's an allergy to certain foods.  His was wheat and sugar.

I have IBS myself and now that I look back I realize that the symptoms began at around the age of 13.