Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Need help

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Need help

Woke up again at 3:15 AM sick as a dog, stomach ache, bloating, lower abdominal pain.  Nothing I take helps and is about daily now. Started Clonidine last night and worse today.  What is being missed??
Are you consipated? Or have been diagnosed w IBS? Ibprohen, zantac help me greatly..but.my doc has also put me on a anti spasmatic med..r u throwing up or just hurting?
Plus if u are take a laxative to get going then two stool softners a day to stay regular its what I do..
They don't know. IBS and motility dusorder. Had reaction to zlevsin. Wanted me to start Prozac and Clonidine.  Took a half of one last night, sick as hell again today.
Ah man..well I had some reactions when I started my meds too...they say they go away but some never did so I was switched many times
Have tried to stick with the Clonidine for 6 days now and my BP and heart rate have been ok.  I am usually on the low side.  Tried skipping the Prozac yesterday but can't say that made a difference.  Actually, I am noticing no difference. Still waking up during the night with stomach grumbling, stomach ache then nausea.  :-(  
Have yet another appt at Stanford on Friday with another specialist, who I find out afterward that she trained under the doctor that diagnosed this!!!  I hope she can give me an unbiased opinion on her own or there goes another wasted 2-3 hour trip one way to the Bay area.
Margot,  please read my post from Feb 28th about dairy.  I too had the same rude awakening with gut pain  so bad and diarrhea for years.  I can't believe no one has replied. Milk/dairy and it's derives is in 70% of all packaged foods. I eat now like 20—30 years ago.  Fresh Meat fruit and veg. I cook for me.
Try reading everything and eat only fresh for 2 weeks and see if your stomach settles down. Go to websites to find out what lactose is in.  If you are lactose intolerant you get these symptoms cause your body does not have enough lactose in sml intestine to break down lactose in these products. Let me know.
Correction on my spelling,  lactose intolerance mean so your body does not have enough of the enzyme lactose to break down lactose. I have been diagnosed with IBS for years but now have only a  few breakouts from something with dairy sneaking through.
Chickens are now being injected with milk deravites as a preservative.  I buy organic now other than wings as not bothering to Inject those.  Potassium Lactate is in most processed meats like hot dogs and lunchmeat.  Ground beef made me sick as a dog at 3am,  FDA allows fillers and emulsifier fto be added without listing as ingredients.  I now buy organic ground beef.  Go to wwww. dairyfree. Com . m for a list of lactose/dairy words to look for. That's all for now.  Good luck
It took 2-3 years for them to help me (yet don't know if I said that was over 10 yrs ago I was diagnosed) They   barely knew about it then...but once they got all my meds unless I'm under alot of stress I pretty much forget I have anything wrong. So at least you know coming from someone who struggled daily & in and outta the hospital for at least a year is better should give you some hope. I know its hard I had alot of reactions & it ***** you try and go everywhere and no doc seems to know what to do with you, or at least they dont get it right.
You have to be off of grains with gluten like wheat,Rye for starters and you have to be off of cow dairy products which all take 21 days to get out of your system before you begin to feel relief, and if you slip up one time you have to wait for 21 more days, and also avoid all negative fats like most cooking oils, butter ... the only meats are turkey breast, chicken breast and high quality fish with omegas !  Veggies must be steamed (no raw veggies !)  The only gluten free grains I know of are red rice,brown rice,amarath and Quinoa which is the worlds ony plant based protein that contains all 9 essential amino acids !   But above all  AVOID WHEAT !
I have not heard of Prozac(fluoxetine) being used for treatment of IBS. Citalopram(Celexa), Paroxetine(Paxil) are the 2 we're familiar with prescribing here in Upstate NY.....However, Paroxetine has some nasty side effects..... And I've not heard of Neurontin being used for IBS either.....I agree the dietary changes are a better bet to manage symptoms.....
By the way, I've had GI problems since about age 5.....now they call it reflux and IBS....so I've tried to stay away from meds because most of the IBS meds don't work.....reflux meds are important though to prevent Barrett's Esophagitis, but dietary changes really are the most helpful for IBs....and that's the general consensus of my patients who have IBS as well.....