Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Pain under left rib

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Pain under left rib

Hey,

My doctors have told me I've got Irritable Bowel Syndrome so far now I'm going to take there word for it. I'm not eating much due to a phobia which must not be helping me at all but I had diarrhea for two weeks before constipation for 2 months which I'd gone to doctors about. About a month into this I developed a pain under my left rib which was really sharp and painful when I ate or just at random times as well as a bloated stomach and bad back ache. The hospital told me it was due to the constipation but a couple weeks ago I'd started moving my bowels everyday again but the pain is still there as well as pain in my upper back and by my left shoulder blade, the bottom of it and under my left armpit, sometimes the pain radiates into the chest and under the right rib but rarely. The pain is sometimes dull, and then changes to a small sharp pain and then to a very sharp sore pain. It's always there so it seems and it worries me. I also get nausea in the central upper abdomen and a full feeling even when I'm not eating, are these all signs of Irritable Bowel Syndrome? And can someone tell me if they can relate to these symptoms?

Thanks,
Rebecca x
I get the pain you're talking about quite frequently, whether I've been constipated or not.  The portion of the colon that is on the left side of the abdomen is called the descending colon and it's where most people with IBS feel the most amount of pain.  This is a normal part of having IBS.  It can be quite painful and debilitating at times.  My doctors prescribed Bentyl which reduces the amount of pain, because it reduces the amount of spasming in the colon.  Bentyl is quite sedating and some have reported addiction to Bentyl, so it's not to be taken lightly.
Its really uncanny but I have the exact same symptoms as you, Im 23 male and have been going threw this all year ive been to several doctors and all of them diagnose me with different things is becoming a real stress in my life cause im to young for this BS, I do notice alot more woman have this problem which makes me feel worse lol whatever is going on I notice since 2008 that there were problems going on with my stomach but really rare and 4 years later it has progressed to what it is today, I lived a horrible life style lots of smoking which I finally gave it up, for some reason cannibus also triggered these smyptoms as much as food which cigerattes didnt affect me at all but either way I quit smoking and feel better in some ways but also feel worse whatever is going on its something thats really hard to diagnose im sceduled for some camera work and will keep everyone updated, also my stomach makes lots of noise that travels threw my anus which sounds like im hungry its very embassing I assume its gas but definetly very uncomfortable and sometimes keeps me awake at night.