Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Questran
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Questran

Has anyone tried Questran for IBS-D?
Tags: questran
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I've been on Questran(generic form-cholestryamine) since the mid-90s, due to IBS-D and chronic bile salt diarrhea after GB removal.

Within 24 hours, I noticed a positive change. Stools more formed, more normal in appearance, etc.  Questran, being a bile binder, was prescribed to deal with the bile salt issue after my surgery.  I did not try Questran before my GB was removed, so how much it would help someone with only IBS-D, I'm not sure.  I dont' think it would hurt to give it a try, as I know some people have.  In light of that..it has done nothing for some, and helped manage symptoms in others.  It would be something to discuss with your doctor, since it is a prescription med.

I know I will be on it for a lifetime.  I tried, out of curiosity, going without for 24 hours, and was not surprised at all that symptoms increased when my normal dosage wasn't taken.

It has been a lifesaver for me, and for others.  Ihope my reply answers some of your questions
Blank
420281_tn?1204651104
Like deni55, i have also been taking Questron lite for about 13 years now, after my surgery I went for about three years with loose movements and kept going back to the doctor for testing, not knowing why I was having this problem after gallbladder surgery, finally went to another doc who put my on Questron, although I have alot of stomach issues and problems since I was young and have only gotten worse through the years, the Questron definately saved my life.  I still have to be careful what I eat, I am very limited to what my system can handle and have found since I started taking Lexapro for anxiety (which is supposed to constipate most people) I have found it makes me loose, but the Questron is a wonderful medication, it does not stay in the body, it is usually meant for people with high cholesterol, it does leave your system, so it is SAFE AND EFFECTIVE., just make sure you ask your doctor for QUESTRON LITE
the regular Questron in my opinion is disgusting.  Good luck, let us know how you make out.

crumy
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank