Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Severe Bloating

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Severe Bloating

I am unsure if i have IBS but closest topic. I had a colonic irrigation last week to help reduce bloating, it wasnt serious bloating i just thought that i might acheive a flatter  stomach. However immediately after the colonic irrigation and ever since i have experienced severe bloating, especially after a meal, i look pregnant and it feels hard with such pressure that it is very uncomfortable to move and i feel like i have to take deeper breaths. I would love if anyone could shed some light on this, please help. Thankyou.
Hi Honeybee, I have been experiencing something that seems like what you are describing,first it was just gas bloating with burping but it turned into this almost constant feeling of bloated fullness, especially after eating, i just feel like the food is weighing tons in my stomach, my stomach is bloated and feels hard and tender when pressing it...I have had this for weeks now, and I have been to see the doctor, but I suffer from anxiety and he seems to think that is the reason, although he did do some blood tests which came back normal. I have had some treatments like accupuncture and shiatsu and lots of different meds but nothing seems to work and I thought of going to have a colonic myself, actually i have booked one in 2 days, now you got me so worried, could it make it worse???? i thought it may help me...
Have you been to see a doctor about it?

Millie
What is happening is there is air trapped in your digestive track which is causing the bloating that, yes, does feel like you are pregnant. This happens more after eating because the air goes down with the food or gets built up from the food. Try watching what you are eating and drinking.

Stay away from coffee (take cafein pills until the spell goes away)
Do not drink alcohol at all for several weeks
No refined carbs ie. cakes, pastries, white processed foods, sweets of any kind
No fats, fast food, chicken skin, butter, nuts etc.
no raw veggetables or fruits for a few weeks (these cause a lot of problems with bloating)
Stay away from beef or pork products
High fibre foods need to be taken carefully as they can cause upset

Do eat vegetables cooked and fruits dried
Eat french or sourdough bread
Chicken and fish is good

You can read IBS diet websited to find more good and bad foods for IBS
The symptoms may take a few weeks with careful eating before they subside so be patient it will come.

Good Luck
Oh yeah also stay away from liquid foods like shakes
I am of the understanding that colonic irrigation is not what it is cracked up to be,just another pacifer .I was told by my dr and specialist that bloating is a kink in th e bowel.
Keep away from light weight whipped food like moouse and food high in fibre.I wrote down what i was eating each day for 2 weeks and noted when i bloated or had severe stomach cramps.broccoli,cauliflower,peas,brussell sprouts,cabbage,can cause a lot pain and bloating for some IBS people hope this is of some help.