Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Specific Carbohydrate Diet

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Specific Carbohydrate Diet

Due to stomach problems, I have decided to try a Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Has anyone experienced relief on this diet?
So basically, this is what I got from it- fresh vegtables, fresh fruits, lean meats, most nuts, NO LACTOSE, NO SUGAR (except in fruits and honey), and NO STARCHES.
Is this about right? Also, what is the policy on yogurt and coconut milk?
I'm a really bust person that doesn't have the time/money to make his own fresh yogurt, but I am also being burdened by stupid stomach problems, so are there any yogurts I can buy that work well? And again, yes/no to the coconut milk?
Also, what about teas and spices?

Sorry for all the questions. Hopefully someone can help.
Thanks!
Hey Nick,
I'm pretty familiar with all this.
Yogurt HAS to be homemade and it's easy and cheaper to make it yourself. (once you get the hang of it)
Coconut oil is recommended in place of other inflammatory free-radical producing cooking oils with many health benefits like anti-fungal, anti-viral
anti-parasitic, anti-microbial and more. It has detoxing qualities and is a great natural lubricant as well. Extra virgin organic is the best type to get and it still does not cost a fortune. You need to take 2T daily for 2 weeks and gradually increase to 4T daily. Good source of fast energy too.
Coconut milk is not really milk and you can make your own (watch for BPA
in canned foods and drinks) from shredded organic coconut and filtered water, well blended to the consistency you like.
Light teas, black, green or herbal are legal and so is ESSIAC tea, a great immune tonic.
Try for pastured meat and organic vegetables, low sugar fruits and some nuts- organic if possible.
You may do on your own Dr. Coca's Pulse test for allergies/sensitivity/intolerance to anything ingested. Free download.

Cheers and good luck with the SCD!
Niko
Ok. Do you know if vitamins and probiotics are ok?
Print a list of all the illegal foods and ingredients.
Carry it with you for a quick reference b4 you buy, or if shopping online check ALL the ingredients as you will find most of the supplements have illegal ingredients. Note: check also the fillers and the capsule ingredients.  
The higher more exclusive brands tend to be better choices.
Probiotics, most people on the SCD do better with the totally non-dairy ones.
Cheers!
Niko