Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
This much pain and tenderness from IBS?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

This much pain and tenderness from IBS?

I've had a diagnosis of IBS for several years but never had much of a problem. Recently in the past 6-8 months however  I've had a dramatic decrease in appetite and weight and the more I try to eat the more abdominal discomfort I get. I've also had a aching and cramping pain in the same location in my extreme lower right abdomen. It's some what tender to the touch from the outside but from the inside (my vagina) it's worse. I found that out during a gyno visit and vaginal ultrasound. I just saw the gyno 3 weeks ago and she sent me for an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound. I'm waiting to hear back from her on the results but I saw my regular Dr. today and he said there was nothing abnormal indicated on the ultrasound. My regular Dr. seems to think the pain I'm experiencing in that particular spot is to do my colon being cramped or constricted in that area due to IBS. I disagree.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. The symptoms you described could be due to appendicitis, that’s when you have pain on the right side just above the pelvis and you may also have referred pain around the umbilicus (belly button). The other symptoms for Appendicitis are fever, nausea, vomiting and malaise. This may not be detected by imaging studies. The other causes for pain could be urinary tract infection, pelvic infections, renal colic and sometimes bowel infections. So, don't worry and discuss these options with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.