Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
are apples bad for IBS

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

are apples bad for IBS

Can apples affect IBS,either for improving or making worse?.
Cheers
Hi, I'm not sure, I think it depends on the individual. Some say try eliminating the suspicious food then add it back and observe how you feel. It seems a shame doesn't it? So much nutritious food has to be cut out of one's diet? It's hard after a lifetime of eating something to just stop! For me anyway, lol. I'd be curious to find out your results.
In short yes - Apples can worsen your IBS symptoms.
Now for the lengthy reply!
I've had IBS symptoms for a number of years and a very thorough Gastroenterologist recently sent me for a Hydrogen Breath test which revealed that I have Fructose Malabsorption.
If your IBS is due to FM then anything with a higher Fructose to Glucose ratio such as apples, pears, mangos, most stone fruits, dried fruits, honey etc. etc. etc!! will not be absorbed properly and will cause symptoms. (Glucose aids in the absorption of Fructose so if the ratio of glucose is higher then the food is ok.) Trouble is IBS symptoms are not only triggered by Fructose but various other things such as Fructans in wheat or foods that when eaten are converted to Fructans. Other problematic foods: onion, leek asparagus, most beans, lentils etc.
Have you heard of FODMAPS? (Fermentable Oligo-Di- and Mono-saccharides and Polyols. Worth looking up as these food groups seem to be the trigger for most IBS sufferers. I'm in the process of trying to eliminate these from my diet - very challenging for someone who loves fruit and veggies! - but I do feel better when I avoid them.
Hope this helps.
Oops sorry timrt, bit fuzzy headed today - the above reply was for you!!
Hello and thank you both for taking the time to reply.

I have given up trying to identify which foods groups affect my IBS.I know that to much wheat like others with IBS will experience problems.So I have reduced the amount of wheat based products.At one point there was more foods I couldn't eat then foods I could.

I have read that a high fiber diet can help with IBS.So I started to eat apples and peaches daily,but from the comment here it seems that this could aggravate my IBS.So I have given up the apples and peaches and am monitoring my symptoms .

Each day I take a prebiotics,cod liver oil with omega 3 and multi vitamins.Hopefully receiving the correct daily intake of vitamins will have a positive affect.

So its no fruit for a few weeks and hope it all go's well.

Thank you again for the help and advice.Cheers Tim