Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
bloody mucus in stools

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

bloody mucus in stools

I am a 28 yr. old female who has suffered from IBS for 10 years. This week I had a horrible spell that came on instantaneously. I had a major gas back up which cause ureal pain throughout my entire stomach. The pain was worse than labor with both of my children and even caused my body to go into shock causing me to shake and vomit once. This had happened once before and the ER just said to wait it out so we did not go to the ER this time. The next morning I had diarrhea, so the pain stopped. My stomach was very sore the next day. Today, which is 3 days later I felt the urge to have diarrhea again. When I went to the restroom all that came out was a lot of mucus with blood in it. The toilet didn't turn red or anything, but I have never experienced blood at all in my stools. This happened several more times as the morning went on. When I did have a bowel movement, it was hard and there was still a lot of bloody mucus. My question is do I need to be worried or it just from the crazy night of unreal pain that got my colon all upset and caused the trauma which led to the blood?
No your not crazy,

I have had a couple of bouts with blood in my stool. The thing is is mine went away.

If you are eating fruits or vegetables that are red in color...this may happen. Also if your colon is on overload.."full" it may also be straining...causeing some tear perhaps.

Seems however that you are getting bloody stools a little more than...well i did.

Best bet is to have a gostroentologist check this out. Rule out anything before it worsens.don't panic as it could be a couple of things that may be going on.

Best to you.