Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
diarrhea acidity - any way to neutralize it?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

I'm going in for a flexible sigmoidoscopy, and I've discovered that it's not the procedure that is painful or uncomfortable, it's the extreme diarrhea you get in preparing for the procedure. I'm going in for this procedure because I have a lot of little cuts and I bleed a lot sometimes, and the acidic nature of diarrhea makes this so painful that I cry in agony and would rather make the doctor angry/not do the procedure and take something to calm it down. The pain when I get diarrhea is to the point where I honestly have only felt pain similar to it after abdominal surgery.
If anyone could suggest foods or ways that I can reduce the acidity or reduce the amount of pain I will be going through when I prepare for the procedure with a laxative and an enema I would greatly appreciate it.
ANY HELP at all would be awesome, considering my procedure is tomorrow and I need to take the laxatives tonight.
Thanks guys...
I take Questran (generic Cholestrymine) 1 tsp. w/ water at bed (One package can be to binding and constipate.),  It binds bile and stops my diarrhea.  If I don't take this at bedtime.  The next morning, no matter what I put in my mouth I will have diarrhea.  I had my gallbladder removed 9 yrs. ago, and with that I got IBS w/ severe diarrhea (pain and fatigue, alot of acid.  Also, try Protonix for acid.  I cannot eat gassy fruits or vegies, citrus or acidic foods, no fried or fatty foods, no dairy, no alcohol.
The Questran is a miracle for me.
Good luck, I wish you well.
***@****