Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
green diarrhea
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

green diarrhea

*I have had bad IBS for 6 years, so I'm no stranger to frequent bathroom trips! This feels different though...
for the past two weeks or so, I've had this consistent dark "moss" green diarrhea, very soft, several times a day (though that's not new, this is not a color&consistency combination I've ever had). it also tends to be urgent, though not a lot at a time, and I'm seriously going through a roll of TP every dayI've been researching causes and
-I definitely get enough fiber in my diet, so that's not the problem
-the amount of green foods I eat in a day hasn't changed in at least two or three months, so I'm not sure it's a green food thing either
-I've been gluten free for 2.5 years
basically I'm wondering, is this just a new face of my IBS, or could something else cause this?

thank you!
Related Discussions
  • Green Stool (1 replies):
    It just started today I had stomach pain and went to the...[more]
  • Green Stool (6 replies):
    Hi, this morning I found green stool, not bright green. ...[more]
  • Green Bowels (2 replies):
    The past 2 days I have been having normal and loose gree...[more]
  • Green Stool? (4 replies):
    Does anyone know what would cause green stool? I have ha...[more]
  • Green Stool (107 replies):
    For about a week, my stool has become more green. Now it...[more]
There are a few different things that may cause this

If you just starting taking an iron supplement or have been eating a lot of foods that are iron-rich, then you may have noticed a change in the color of your bowels - As you say this is not the cause of the color change.

There are other cases where this could be caused by bile.  Bile only gets turned brown after passing through your large intestine.  If you have been taking laxatives or have diarrhea, it may pass through too quickly and will remain green.  This Green Stool is also usually temporary and will subside.  If you continue having diarrhea after a period of time, and you have tried to adjust your diet, you should definitely bring this up to your doctor as it might be a sign of something more serious.

Hope this helps
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank