Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
is CNS damage from IBS possible

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

is CNS damage from IBS possible

I am a 19 year old male. For the past two years I have been experiencing chronic lower abdominal pain. It doesn't hurt very badly (about 2 or 3 of 10), but it is there almost 100% of the time. I have been to a gastroenterologist many times and had a upper endoscopy as well as a lower endoscopy. After finding nothing, my doctor diagnosed me with IBS. She perscribed an SSRI (I don't remember which). I do have depression and I guess she thought that it was causing my problem. I was reluctant to try them because I feel it is just a masking of the problem, but I did it anyway because my parents agreed. I took it for about two weeks and felt no changes. I guess I might have felt a little less depressed, but it didn't help the stomach pain at all.

Recently, my problem has gotten worse and has led me to believe that I might have a more severe malabsorbtion issue. About a five or six months ago, I started experiencing short-term memory problems. At the same time my ears got clogged (fluid on the inside) and I started to have balance problems. Every time I swallow, my ears pop. I also began having twitches at random locations almost once every two hours, but most of them would go away in a few minutes. I mentioned this to my doc, but she just said that twitches are normal. I don't think she realized that I used to only get twitches maybe once a month and I was having almost every hour.

Up until now, all of those problems have remained except for the twitching which has reduced a little (maybe four times a day). About two weeks ago, I started to get nerve problems which made me decide to focus more on finding a solution to the problem. When I say nerve problems, I mean tingling in my fingers and occasional numb spots on my hands and once on one of my toes, but that part went away.

I usually only have diarrhea or small crap, but never anything normal. After some research, I found that I probably have a vitamin deficiency (b12, b6, folic acid). So about a week and a half ago, I started taking 1mg of b12 every day. It was the first thing that actually seemed to help the stomach pain. It is not completely gone, but I'd say it has improved at least 60%. All of my other problems still remain though, the tingling and the memory seem to be getting worse. I REALLY NEED some advice on what to next! Should I just take more b12. I feel like my brain is slowly deteriating. I can't think as fast as I used to. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Gut related problems can deplete vitamin storages and cause neural problems, especially brain fog. It is important to find the underlying cause for this, especially if it is a bacterial, fungal or parasite prolem. GPs usually dont want to look for the main trouble and then you get labelled as IBS. I nearly died from IBS, since I had a major parasite infection and lost so much weight I looked anorexic.
Either you go the expensive way: Metametrix does a stool test which screens for every known gut problem, including bacterias, blood, fungi, fibre and whatnot. Then you get the results and you can see what the culprit is and do something against that. OR
You go the diet way, which is thought to starve the problembug, reduce inflammation and get the vitamins into your body. The diet is called SCD or special carbohydrate diet, and was designed for people with crohns and IBS and celiiacs, but It also helps patients with autism and fybromyalgia.
Good luck.